6.05.2007

Bodies Exhibition



So, on Saturday after I was quasi-moved my lovely friend Heather visiting from out of town and I went with a few people to the Bodies Exhibit here in D.C. I must say, I was more than a bit hesitant as I have been to several anatomy labs and HATE the smell! While it did have a subtle funky smell, that could have just been due to all the tourists ;) It was fascinating! At first I was kind of ...blah, blah, blah I remember having to regurgitate this all in Anatomy Labs... (and it did make me semi regret dropping out of the Medical route in school). But, towards the end there were some very intriguing things such as:
<-- this is a man holding his own muscular skeleton
1) A body made up of only the arteries in your body

2) a HUGE tumor made of hair, teeth etc (yes, nasty)

3) the development of the embryo- did you know the heart starts beating at 3 weeks? The bone development is amazing as well. Can you tell I was interested in the random facts :)

Also a bit odd is the fact they were ALL Asian males. There was 1 woman in the WHOLE exhibit. Someone gave the lame excuse the guy who started it was inspired by Di Vinci who only did males- LAME!!!!! we live in the 21st Century and I paid money too!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

i did notice that those pictures were all men. that seems like a cool exhibit. i love how you do so much that is around you. often where ever you live you do not take full advantage of everything around you. good job mel:)

Heidi said...

Ahh, you mocked me for going to this exhibit, but then you ended up loving it too! Isn't it so awesome! There were lots of women in the Body Worlds 3 exhibit that was here. We took the babies with us so we didn't get to see everything in as much detail, but I was totally impressed!

M. said...

ok, this does not compare to a man holding his own skin like a blankie!!! disgusting. oh, and the smell was bad, I almost passed out like 3 times..i think not eating for 2 days didnt help.:)

Heidi said...

But the man holding his skin was a part of the same exhibit -- they didn't have a similar dude there? I liked the embryos too. Ours didn't smell at all. I think Body Worlds 3 was cooler than Body Worlds 2 ;) Hee hee. Does Heath live out there now?