12.10.2007

Frank Capra = Genius

So I lied, my next post is not about Thailand, sue me. It will probably come in a few weeks when I have time to go through photos...but I had to just share something that I loved. As most of you who know me very well, you know the majority of my personality is very art/creative based. Why I did Poli Sci...well that is the other 1/2 of my personality where I definitely find gratification...but...not as much. I once had someone tell me that its amazing to watch my face light up when I am in an art museum or discussing cinema...and I must admit 1) thank you for that insightful comment, its def helping me make decisions 2) its true!
On that note:
Saturday night one of my friends that I have not seen in AGES (5 yrs) came up for residency interviews. We decided to crash the DC II party (as the friend he was staying with was in that ward along w/ my lovely friends) then off to the temple VC for a movie. At the age of 26 it was the first time that I have seen Its a Wonderful Life and I must say Frank Capra is genius! It was a rather long movie and my butt hurt towards the end. But, I think that factor comes because we live in a time when we want instant gratification thus not allowing stories to develop...and hard chairs. (I had to remind my friend we were not watching the Bourne Ultimatum). It was beautifully done and themes well presented. What really got me? The ending. A man hands the young girl a pocket watch and throughout the last scene she is holding it. Obviously great symbolism.
Its a Wonderful Life - the ending
dont mind the breakfast club music ending, very odd...

So, what does the watch represent in the movie...and thus applicable to us?
1) Eternity- George was willing to cut his life short bc he was focused on the NOW instead of eternity and the wonderful life he had helped create for himself and others. Also in the sense of eternity, realizing that the aggregate actions we take affect those around us in a way we may never know.

2) Time: the best gift we can give others is time. (notice the man GAVE it to her) In the movie George gave people opportunities (TIME) to grow and fulfill dreams and build families through the business he fought to keep. It makes me think what do we do to help others succeed, how do I show others I care about them?!

Life is busy, it will only get more busy but I left with a stronger conviction to prioritize my life and make sure I focus on the most important things: strengthening my testimony of Christ (thus becoming more like him), my family, my friends. Three simple things but a hard feat... then again, if I did those I know everything else would come easier AND I would be the most content person in the world! :)
So, in conclusion...if you haven t seen the movie, you really should. If you didn't like it, well take off your modern viewing goggles!

1 comment:

Heather Sanders said...

Amen, sista. I loved watching that on the big screen, even if Jeff wasn't overly pleased about the whole situation. Great flick.