5.11.2008

Deborah... Spelled the Proper Way!

(Neil, Derek, Mom, Me at Dinosaur land)

Invariably...as people get to know you they meet your family. I have always found it odd that in high school people who were my good friends... naturally knew my parents. However, most of my good friends in college--and now in D.C. have never met my parents! Being Mother's Day I thought I would introduce my mom and share some of the reasons you should probably get to know her... :)

She has green eyes and thus on St. Patrick's Day lamely excuses herself from wearing green. She's a "native Californian" from none other than the O.C. and graduated from Uni in Clothing & Textile. This, has of course come in handy all my life because as I find things I like, I will draw them for her... and she makes them for me. Much to the jealously of many people around me! She also does a very good job picking out unique stylish clothes I would wear. I actually feel bad for my unborn children because they will have a grandma who can sew AND is one of the most amazing cooks I know (try her sausage rolls that we fight over every Christmas, the thumb print cookies, the Navajo tacos, quiche, schpatzle etc.), unlike their mother (i.e. ME) who can barely sew a straight line, attempted to knit once...in a straight line and can cook a taco salad to your hearts delight!

She served a mission in Scotland where yes, she begrudgingly met my dad (please, you want the story talk to HER about it...and yes, she got over the begrudging part!) She is also the laid back, sensitive one of the family. She would often get upset at my dad and I for "tag teaming her" (surprise I got my dad's dry, British sense of humor?) She is also a great hostess and a big heart. If someone doesnt have a place for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Sunday dinner... to our house they go. Its great, she's such a good mom! 99.9% of her time or metal thought process is spent thinking about how she can help my brothers, sisters-in-law and of course spoil my nieces and nephews. If she is not serving them, she's perplexing over how to serve them or make things better. How do I know? 1) I get the phone calls!

Two of her favorite movies are Ladyhawk and The Man from Snowy River- she even made me take piano lessons just so I could eventually learn how to play the music from Man from Snowy River. She loves chocolate...wait, she could breathe chocolate, a good book, and travelling- she's gone far more places than me!!! In her spare time she is currently a seminary teacher for which i think she is loco but hey, it makes her happy!

So, friends, meet my mom... and mom... err, HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!
I hope all you other moms out there had a great day-ooh, and I want to hear what random gift you got from the primary please!!!

7 comments:

DMS said...

Thanks, Love, that is the nicest present you could have ever given me!

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Well I had the privilege of meeting your mom who shares my mom's name, yes the proper spelling, too! I think your mom is one cool chick! And after reading this, I think she is even cooler!

Schlofmans said...

Mel, your mom is wonderful! And since I am one that has partaken of her kindness, I add my appreciation for her on your blog. :)

Scott and Laura said...

I would love to watch movies but I can't stay awake through them because the pain meds are making me very drowsi. So all I can do is be up for 5 min and then fall asleep again for a couple of hours. It is really quite annoying.

Carol y Miguel said...

That�s so true!! since we don�t have to wright letters and can use the space to comunicate it�s a lot easier and fast.
I love that i�ve been able to find you too...actually the ones who made my first moments at T2 better than i thought it was going to be...
I promisse i�ll update my blog as soon as i�m done with school in june, i still have one year left "proyecto fin de carrera"(i know you speak spanish ;)...) but i�m doing good and i�m loving it.
And how about you?? after traveling the whole world ;) ??
By the way, i�m going to Utah to spend X-mas holidays, it�ll be owesome if i can get to see you ;*
Ps. I use a lot more my account in Facebook, just in case you wanna see more pics.
Muac!

Erin said...

that was super sweet and way fun to read. She sounds like a wonderful woman...an icon.
Hey, I just realized that you are in DC! How crazy! We live about twenty minutes outside of DC...oakton/vienna area. We will have to get together. Give me your number and we'll chat! take care!

Kimi said...

I LOVE dinosaur land! Thanks for the memory flash backs!