7.22.2008
NoT nOw, I'm BuSy
Some form of the phrase above has been uttered frequent by me in the last month. I think we all go through those periods when we just kind of need a break from reality--and that is exactly what I was doing! I was sick of reading intellectually stimulating books, I just wanted a book to enjoy, to forget everything around me.
Being a "little behind the times" I bought the Harry Potter (HP) 6-book set when I first moved to D.C. but until recently they sat on a shelf. Well, I finally broke out the first book to take to the gym. It soon, however, became more than just a casual one-hour read at the gym. I would stay a bit longer to finish a chapter, then I would come home and keep reading until I looked in pain at the clock. On weekends I usually would be annoyed if I had nothing to do, but instead I PURPOSELY started not looking for anything to do. I was perfectly content to sit and read... and read...
Well, after two brief and painful separations (a family reunion and a trip to New York) I stayed up until 3am last night (6 hrs of reading) and finished the 7th book. In total that is 4,224 pages I have read... in a month.
I haven't been this captivated by a book since Lord of the Rings. I think one of the reasons I LOVED HP so much is because Rowling definitely draws from the famous literature of her country... mainly Tolkien and Lewis. The wit and banter between the characters often made me laugh out loud. I love that amidst Harry's challenges he isn't the best, brightest, most skilled wizard. He's a person with talents and faults, but with the help of others he overcomes every adversity placed before him while learning to trust himself. I once heard a lady say that she would never let her kids read HP because it advocates self worship. Now, I know she could not be more wrong. They are, in short, fantastic. Alas... my insatiable desire to know what happens have left me a sad--I now have to make myself be social again.
More importantly, what am I suppose to read now?! Ideas, people? Anyone...Bueller?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







5 comments:
I have yet to read Harry Potter, but I will, eventually. However, I do have a book to recommend to you. If you've read my latest blog post you already know, but it's three cups of tea, and I'm kindof obsessed, read it please.
If I ever read books I might have something to recommend. I only read first grade books...Junie B. Jones anyone? How bout' some flat stanley. If you want more of a challeng we could go up a few grade levels...ok I'll stop.
Hey, I just started the Twilight Series, I really like it. Like you, I find myself "making time" to read. I am not a reader by any means, but I am liking these for sure. Plus you get to see the movie in the winter...always a plus. Love and miss you my East Coast Diva. Robyn
Now you see why I got a little teary when we last spoke about HP. I have yet to meet someone who has read the books and not been in love. Don't despair, they are just as good the second and third times around, especially if you listen to them on CD, the guy that reads them is amazing!
Jenny- It is on my list!! I've started Freakanomics but... i might switch over :)
Willy- hey, HP isn't exactly grad school reading ;)
Clementine, I've promised my roomie i'd read them before the movie, but i'm skeptical, they... are good?
Jess- yes, i'm soo tempted to read them... again, already. is that weird :)
Post a Comment