7.29.2008

RoSa MuLtIfLoRa

I think Shakespeare had it right, a rose by any other name is still a rose. However, the fact remains that the best name for a rose is?... anyone? A ROSE!

I recently read an article in the New York Times about a 9-year old girl in New Zealand who was named "Talula Does the Hula in Hawaii". A judge found this absolutely appalling. So, during the parents custody battle he made the girl a ward of the state and had her name changed arguing, "It made a fool of the child and set her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."

At first it just reminded me of the 900-letter long Polynesian names I've heard, and of all of them, at least she could go by Talula for short, right? But, further on in the article it gave examples of other names absolutely brained-fried or wacky parents have named their kids:

1) Fish and Chips
2)Yeah Detroit
3) Keenan Got Lucy
4) Sex Fruit
5) Number 16 Bus Shelter
6) Violence

New Zealand, you aren't the only country with problems! Recently a friend of mine that works in a hospital told me that a certain name was becoming popular among Asian migrants. The name? similar sound to the mexican food Tamale... Female. They see it on the birth certificate and think, great!

So, I'm curious:
What were you going to be named or how did you get your name?
What are weird names you've heard lately?

Me? I could have been Winifred (winnie for short) grandma's name. Didn't go though, instead I got Melinda.. from a newspaper... I won't say why she was in the newspaper. To that end, yes, I still want to change my name :)

10 comments:

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Well, my mom got my name off of "Days of our Lives." Pretty sweet, ey? Kolby wanted to name one of our kids "Drugs" Johnson. He's such an idiot!

Anonymous said...

Wait until you read the chapter about names in Freakanomics! There are tons of weird names in there, one person named their kid shu-teed but spelled it shithead. Brilliant parents :)

M. said...

I actually just finished it yesterday on my plane ride!!! I started laughing out loud. What about the guy who named his kid winner and loser?! I loved the predictions for popular names by 2015. I see a lot of them now. Timely post aye?

modestmuse said...

I can't believe you want to change your name. It rolls off the tongue so nicely.

I'm happy with Megan, after my great-aunt Margaret. Dad wanted to name me Laurel, which I like a lot as well. But Mom thought, "what about when she's a Laurel (in YW)?" Not sure I'd worry about that, but thanks, Mom.

I have been told on a few occasions I look like an "Ashley." Weird, huh?? And ironic because that is the name on the back of one of my pre-adoption baby pictures. Who called me that?!

Miss Amy said...

If i were a boy, i would have been named benjamin. not too bad i guess.... but both my first and middle names come from the Little Women books. Amy Elizabeth. My mom had so much faith in my intellecutal ability, so she chose a short first name, so it would be easy to spell.

P.S. --- You forgot to include that your middle name, chloe, was courtesy of ME!!!!!

Charlotte Rose said...

Hey Mel, Funny we must be twins, I read Twilight on Saturday too, I'm kind of Obsessed now. I couldn't stand not knowing what was going to happen so yeah i was sneaky and read up the others on wiki too. Now I have just started book two.

Charlotte Rose said...

Oh no, I seriously dislike Jacob Black. Am nearly finished the third book, darn my school work that is getting in my way of finishing, yeah, I have the last book as ready to read. What will we read after though??? I guess I will hang out for the movie, which will probably come out months after it is released in the USA over here.

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Can I just say that I finished the Twilight series yesterday (read the whole thing in 6 days) and I am seriously physically depressed now. It's like I had to return to the world of the living and it is hurting deep in my chest. It's like someone broke up with me, that's how bad it's hurting. What's wrong with me? Is this happening to you too? Please say yes because I'm worrying that I have a personal problem going on. If you haven't finished it yet, I would suggest going slow, stretch the relationship with the books out as long as you can!!!

RuSty and LaLa said...

Ok, my brothers wanted to name me Leia..like princess Leia. I actually wouldn't have minded. Besides the fact that I am not a big star wars fan, Leia sounds kinda Hawaiian.

I got way too sick of people singing "oh susanna", then saying "have you ever heard that song?"

No never...how's it go again...

Charlotte Rose said...

third book finished. Gosh can't get enough of these books. I am glad Jacob ran away he was annoying. I have started reading the 4th book and its interesting. Have you read it yet? What do you think??? I have to finish my school work before I launch into it fully? I am so exicted for the movie. I sound a bit sad don't I. Oh well.