8.18.2008

No LoNgEr JuSt a WhiTe BrEaD cHuRcH

vs. vs.

I will admit that yesterday as I waited for the sacrament I waited with quiet excitement. I think I was exhibiting a bit of Pavlov's Classical Conditioning, waiting to see what the little tray would bring me. However, when it came around I think my face showed a bit of disappointment. Why you ask? It was a whole wheat grainy bread-which is a healthy choice right? So what am I complaining about? Well, this 7-grain bread was a far cry from the delicacies we have been enjoying.

For the last little while members of the congregation have been surprised week to week by the choice in sacrament bread. The first week it happened, we all turned a puckered face when we realized we were munching on sourdough bread. I think to make up for this fact, the next week we were surprised by.... cinnamon swirl. The following week? A dense potato bread. The week after that? Pita bread! It kept going on, and on and each week we would laugh at the ever changing variety.

Some postulate that this variety of bread is needed to represent the different cultures/ethnicities that make up the church today. Sure! After all, it doesn't matter what you eat or drink, right? However, I fear summer vacation or a "talking to" has deterred the bread provider into normal-bread conformity! I personally wouldn't mind some peshwari naan, OR I suggested we have goldfish crackers one week... I mean it would be so easy to just grab ONE, and, I mean... think of the symbolism! Loaves and fishes people, loaves and fishes ;)

12 comments:

Lincoln and Alisia said...

Melinda! I found your blog. And I heard about this.. to bad we are not in the singles ward anymore to enjoy it.

Debbie said...

ha ha, i love the gold fish idea.

hey, i am sorry but we are in the middle of a move and i cannot email you the details about the stuff i make. i do not mind if you copy anything i make. you can click on the picture to see it larger. good luck:)

Unknown said...

That sounds great. In one ward in Brazil, they made homeade bread. I've never been more tempted to take more than one piece! Very good! So we are going to be in DC on Sat. Are you around?

Anonymous said...

just don't do gluten free, that's disgusting. what about donut holes? THAT would be awesome.

RuSty and LaLa said...

I am with anonymous on that one. Donut holes would be great and the sacrament hymnn could be really short cause you don't even have to break those suckers. The priests would be able to sing along. Inactives would start coming back to church. In Hawaii they have this church that is called the once a month church. And that once a month church serves Huli Huli Chicken. Now that is smart business

David Stoker said...

I think it's funny that they have all been from different providers. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with bachelors walking up late on Sunday morning realizing they are supposed to bring the bread that day...uh...what do we got...that will work.

M. said...

YES Dave because I KNOW you were the one who brought the Pita bread. :) Try donuts next time, see what happens... its either that or another viewing of Sydney White?!

David Stoker said...

no, no, anything but that.

Charlotte Rose said...

What are Goldfish crackers??? The best bread I have ever had in sacrament is homemade white bread, and it was warm, mmm, all I needed was a dollop of butter. Sooo have you started reading anything interesting???

Erin said...

Wow, we could use a little spicing up in the Oakton ward. I'll be sure to give some hints. I don't know if we'll make it to cinnamon swirl but I sure hope so! (just wait til my boys pass sacrament, we'll be having cream cheese croissants!)

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

While we were in Utah, we had to buy the sacrament bread because Kolby's dad is the bishop and I guess that it's his responsibility. We just bought the cheapest bread we could find, I hope the Lord doesn't mind. Hey, if you want goldfish, just visit the nursery, They've always got a giant costco box of them in their closet. You may even luck out and find some animal crackers and raisins, too!!!

The Chan Clan said...

That is great! Seriously...so great!