..since I've felt like my brain was going to explode. Of course I would never say it was a pleasant feeling, but on the other hand I have to admit that it's a great feeling to know I've just completed boot camp on my brain. How you ask? I just finished my first of twelve 3-hour classes. I am aware of the fact that I am known for making many decisions based on what may seem like a whim. To the outside observer this class could seem no different--especially since I signed up for it on Monday. However, it was something that has been on the back burner for several years. You see, there are three languages I've always want to learn: Norwegian, Hindi and Japanese. I know there are other, perhaps more beautiful languages available. You could even argue their usefulness compared to other languages. But, to each his own I say!
I had a rather crap week last week and finally decided I needed something to shake it up a bit. I'd always wanted to learn Arabic (and it would probably help in the job prospects later) so I started doing research on Unis in the area that offered non-degree seeking language classes. (As I said, it had been on my mind for awhile, I just rarely discuss) I found a few classes but they were all $1,000 + dollars. Or as I define it, just a tad out of my price range! One of my friends pointed me in the direction of the USDA and lo and behold the Department of Agriculture teaches language classes, who knew? Not only did they offer Arabic but they offered Hindi (in my list of 3). I was at a crossroads, I wasn't sure which to take! A friend solved the problem via gchat by tossing a coin for me (I hope not DURING his law lecture) and soon I was signed up for a Hindi class.
As soon as I signed up, I thought "What did I get myself into?!" But, always up for an adventure and a challenge, I went tonight. I'll say I think once I learn the language I'll muscle my teacher out (after my trip to India of course.) She was... not good. But misery loves company and I soon made a few friends in the class.
Amidst the random Urdu history lessons and linguistic origins... and culture tirades we managed to get a grip on a few things. I've got one week to recognize and memorize the alphabet (see chart above... AAAH!) but I did learn a few things. If you feel so inclined to learn some Hindi, here's what I've filtered out of today's lecture, just for you--written in phonetics of course:
my name is Melinda = mira nom Melinda he
Your name is _____ = Ap ka nom _____ he.
What = key ah
Yes = Ji ha
No = Ji Nahee
Thank you = Dhan ya vad
Tomato = dah mah ter (hilarious, love it)
Umbrella = Chut reeBear = bha loo (that's my favorite, Jungle Book and all)
See, I can totally hold a conversation now. Riiiiight. Wish me luck, dhanyavad!
*I also learned a swear, but she said that's just for when you're driving.
*I also learned a swear, but she said that's just for when you're driving.
2 comments:
I think that is awesome! Congratulations for doing something like that. I can't wait until I have more opportunities to take classes of things I have always wanted to learn. I took a knitting class earlier this year and it was really cool. I love classes! What a nerd! dhanyavad!
you are crazy, but that is so you. And... add me to that trip roster to India. Still planning on Feb?
Post a Comment