12.17.2009

I RaiSe My HeAd, AnD cUrSe ThE gOds!

Or some other acclamation found in Greek Tragedy would suffice. I am in no means as fit as Achilles, or as immune to all vices, diseases or marathon running fatigue as he is. But I know my small, piercing Christmas weakness and for it I cures the gods.

I was kind of hoping that due to the economy, all our vendors would opt for just sending Christmas, excuse me, holiday cards this year and forgo the large baskets of sweets. Not that I really like any of them. Mostly I hate every last nonperishable item in the boxes, usually containing but not limited to fake cheese, greasy crackers, a handful of peanuts in an oversized box and some dark chocolates. Nonetheless, boxes and boxes of crap around the office was a temptation I hoped to live without.

Sadly, the first large basket arrived and with it, my Achilles (or should I say Harry & David) heel--POPCORN. I could literally go a full year without eating popcorn. Sure, it's a nice snack at the movies, the smell is somewhat addicting and it's a nice low-cal snack to satiate the hunger. But I'm indifferent, plus all those little things get stuck in your teeth!

Yet the minute it hits Christmas my eyes start seeing Poppycock and Moose Munch. I can't get enough of it! I realize I'm diabetic, I know I shouldn't be eating this sugary and fattening goodness... but I just love it! I tried to limit my intake by grabbing a little bowl, but who am I kidding... it was a deep bowl. As I write this post, the bowl is almost gone yet my spinach, walnut and apple salad sits untouched.

So, if you stumble upon an empty parcel somewhere, I'll be the girl in a diabetic comma with morsels of popcorn clutched in her grubby little hand. I should have learned, it's always the small things that pierce you're armor in the end!

=

1 comment:

The Shepro's said...

eat the popcorn...I'll stab you afterwards:) Love ya..missya...can't wait till I can one day just up and leave to visit ya...hurry up and send me your address so I can send you a xmas card...or you'll get a digital one...soooooo freakin lame...send me the address pronto ahora!!!!!! When you comin to Iowa next????hmmmm hmmm hmmmm