2.04.2010

KeYs tO mY pErSoNaLiTy


Get it? Get it? Oh, nothing says "nerd" quite like a pun. During Snowpocolypse 09 I was the idiot who lost their keys. The thing I still can't figure out is, how I lost them. I remember opening my trunk to get the ice scraper and thinking, "don't leave your keys in your trunk!" I opened up my car, put them on the drivers seat and, like I was talking to a dog, I stared at my keys and shut the door with a mental "stay!"

However, when I was halfway finished with my car, I got really paranoid and went to make sure they were still where I put them. But they weren't. I looked around to see if any of my roommates had taken them to get in the house. But alas, they were all still in our mile-long drive way (and no, it's not a mile, maybe 1/4 of that). They saw me freaking out and helped me shovel around my car. However, soon I felt like I was just shoving them around, making it eventually harder to find, and I gave up.

On Sunday, to replace our canceled church, I decided to go dig my side of the street out of the snow. My motives weren't completely innocent (I never said I was a saint); I wanted to either find my keys or shove the snow to the side so that when the snow did melt, my keys would still be near our house and not two miles up the road... courtesy of a snow plow. Still, no dice.

I left a few days later for Christmas break and had given up finding my keys. I tried to be practical and all adult-ish. Sure, I can go get another key made. Go get a new gym pass, not a problem. But I really wanted my key chain back! I had bought it at Harrods during their Christmas sale last year while I was in London. My friend Emilia and I had wandered around trying to find the cheapest yet most practical thing we could find. Voila--my key chain! I was so sad, I even emailed her to ask if she could find another... because, well, maybe I had already looked online and they didn't sell them.

Two weeks passed and I got back to D.C. The whole time I was gone I went back and forth between accepting they were gone and hoping someone had found them. But the second thought would bring a new worry. How would people know they were mine? Oh the anguish! As soon as I got home I decided to try my luck. I walked around the house, down the driveway and onto the road, scanning every which way for a bright British flag. Suddenly, RIGHT next to the sewer opening (a few more inches and they would have been gonners), lying in some nasty leaves... were my key! Can I get an Amen? A-Men!

I now look at my keys and wonder... would someone have known they were mine, especially since I live next door to a British guy? Although, he would know they were mine since we talk about Manchester United a lot. In general, what do my keys even say about me?

This is what I've come up with:
1) I'm a minimalist. Two keys, three tags. Done and done.
2) I like to read, a lot.
3) I have some connection with Britain.
4) I care about being healthy.
5) I'm either a student, don't care about flash cars or don't get paid a lot (no keyless entry)

anything else?... What do your keys say about you?

*I've also decided I need a back-up key chain. Don't laugh, I know people that have back-up wallets, jewelry and ties. So, if you're making a trip across the pond let me know, I've give you a few pounds... Please?

4 comments:

ANJ said...

please get out of my brain. i was there 3 years ago, pretty much TO THE DAY.

http://yikesanj.blogspot.com/2007/02/llaves-son-claves.html

love, your twin

modestmuse said...

That's pretty funny! Glad you found them. I should post a picture of my keys -- this made me realize that I don't even have a keychain. I am kind of paranoid I will have my keys stolen or something, I try not to get too attached :( CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!

Kim said...

I lost mine as well last year, but never found it...i had the templesquare keychain hahaha. I cant get you a british flag keychain, but how about a beautiful dutch one (or german).

Kim said...

guess what, a relative is going to england today if you are quick, let me know what it should look like and maybe he'll find one