It's cool that, courtesy of Facebook (formerly known as the Facebook) I'm now back in touch with the boys I played He-Man with in kindergarten (I was the only girl in the neighborhood), the people from high school that I'd always wondered, "What ever happened to so-and-so?", tons of mission buddies around the world, college friends that are now on to bigger and better things, and a forum to share a quick "thinking of you" or "here's something to make you laugh" with the people I'm close with. I even found a bit of evil satisfaction when people who never really spoke to me (were sometimes even really rude to me) tried to add me on Facebook--and even better when I discover they'd gained tons of weight and totally peaked looks-wise early in life (I'm hoping I haven't).
With that all being said, I really analyzed my personality. Why do I have a hard time with it? Who cares, If you want to be on it less, just be on it less! Well, what I acknowledged is that I don't work that way (they say it's a pisces thing.) I'm a cultivator. I may be crap at tending the garden in my backyard, but I definitely take to heart what Ralph Waldo Emerson said on friendship, "go oft to the house of thy friend, for weeds choke the unused path." And so while there are many good (keep in touch, share the gospel, rally cries) and bad (cyber bullying, gossip) reasons for the existence of Facebook that's its purpose for me. I really try to be a good friend, stay on top of everyone's lives and feel a connectedness to them regardless of distance.
However, in a world where all paths are open to me, I found that I was spending way too much time constantly looking left, right, behind.. basically any direction but directly forward on the paths of importance now. I want to make good friends here, I want to figure out the next step in my career, in general I'd like to accelerate progress and move ahead. So I took a breather; I only meant my Facebook fast to be for a month (just like my blog) but found I actually really enjoy it.
Sure, I miss the Facebook party 411s, loads of photos from fantastic adventures and pithy updates. But, at least for now... I'm okay without it. I find it incredibly liberating. I find I'm on the internet 1/8 the amount of time, I reach out to more people in my area, and I have less excuse to keep from moving forward (but I have no idea what to do with my photos!) Now, I'm not saying I'll have the blinders on indefinitely (I do miss being in touch with lovely people), just in the near future. I dare you to try it, just for a week or two, and see what difference it makes...or are you too addicted to the crackbook? :)
7 comments:
I've been going back and forth about this for a long time. Do I really want to have a "connection" with people I don't actually communicate with in real life?
Recently, though I have discovered new purposes for facebook related to my calling and missionary work. So I'm resistant to giving it up. I think if I remember to check/use it only for these purposes, I may be able to find some degree of the liberation you have found.
A friend's recent post said "FB is like a refrigerator - you keep checking it, but nothing's changed."
I absolutely agree! I've given myself a time to get back on it because it does offer good uses (as other things) when used correctly.
Also, funny because that quote was from me... I copied it from my friend Amy ;)
maybe I will, but I'll probably last 5 minutes.
take this as a simple "offline" comment. you are so cool. I love that you aren't doing facebook, and I can totally appreciate it. i have similar feelings about it. onward and upward with your friends.
I totally commend you for doing something I cant! I would have quit FB a long time ago but there are just too many TS friends that I dearly love and cant hang out with b/c the world being too big ;)
I have kept up great friendships cuz of FB so I an gonna have to stay connected by the umbilical cord so to speak...but thumbs up for you!
oh, for sure. I think that's one thing I miss the most. Of course I'm left out of things too, but that's the price I suppose...
I look forward to catching up with them when i get back on!
Facebook sober 1 year and counting.... One of the best things that ever happened to me - ESP. Since I'm easily distracted socially - I'm more focused on my priorities, I read more books and I think I may actually be cooler ;) I say " hechale ganas! " (pretend there's appropriate punctution)
Post a Comment