8.07.2010

FoRgEt DiRtY aSiA

Let go of Europe, and step into a grittier, cheaper, heavenly place. I've had a lot of discussions with Americans about traveling over the years, and I always chuckle at how well we, as a society, have been indoctrinated. I'm not sure where the love of Italy and London come from or at what exact age the propaganda starts... but Americans are OBSESSED with them.

Now, I will admit that yes, the first place I wanted to go on my own dime was Italy (and I did.) I ate up all the propaganda...and a lot of gelato along the way. But I've branched out, and boy, oh boy am I glad I did.

Where else could I get an hour massage for $6? Or--sorry copyright lovers-- a [fake] Louis Vutton carry-on bag for $15? Or all six seasons of LOST (along with the first season of Modern Family, the first two seasons of Alias and 20 other DVDs) for under $40? Or hire a guy to drive me around for two days for $50, petrol included? Or eat to my hearts content for under $15 a day?

In other words: People, there's more out there than Europe! I know Asia has as bad rap, granted it's the only place I've ever gotten stuck-in-a-hotel-wanting-to-die sick. But, stay away from shady food stands and you'll be alright. In 2007 When I went to Thailand, I swore I couldn't meet kinder people; then I went to Singapore and fudged the rankings a bit. After that, I went to China for the second time and found their quirky bluntness and giddy desire to help endearing. But then two weeks ago I met Bali and I'm quite certain I'll never find nicer people! Then again, I still have a few Asian countries left to visit.

I know its full of people who speak a completely different language, many of which look more like my 3-year old nephews drawings than an alphabet, learning how to pee over a hole can be intimidating (but I've experienced far worse bathrooms in U.S. gas stations), sometimes you don't know what your eating or what exactly your luckily stepping around instead of in, but it really is worth it. Outside of the dusty smog roundabouts and entire families (with groceries and perhaps a big screen TV) on a motorcycle are some of the most pristine forests, breathtaking vistas, blue waters and exotic colors--and a few animals--you'll ever find.

So just do it. Take a deep breath, face L.A. and keep going. If you happen to have a bad day, remember a $6 massage is never more than a block away.

1 comment:

Charlotte Rose said...

Hey, I love Asia, been all over the place, and I couldn't agree more with your post Mel.