10.14.2010

TiLtiNg FoRwArD

I'll break this year down as follows, I'm not a fan. At the beginning of the year, I watched a good friend lose her mom suddenly--it was painful. Her parents were in the MTC preparing to go on a mission when suddenly her mom got ill. She was hospitalized and although many fasted and prayed, she wasn't spared. Being human, you may sympathize or even empathize with how that feels, but if you're not a single young woman then you can't imagine it all the way. Parents aren't suppose to leave until way after you've found someone to share that burden with, right? Yet here my friend is, somehow holding her head up, forcing herself to make decisions to progress in this life (inspiring us along the way) and all with a big missing mom compass.

The year has progressed and I've watched several other friends go through trials and experience scares with their families (i.e. brother got shot, dad had a stroke, parent has incurable disease, cancer came back, got in a horrible car accident) and I got really, really anxious. You know, that gnawing thing called death that--at the age of 29--I didn't think I'd have to deal with yet; at least not on the one generation level. I started getting anxious I'd lose my parents. I tried to forced myself to acknowledging that, that thing might happen sooner than I thought and I had to start preparing for it.

Fast forward
to Fall 2010, my dad travels all the time for work. Really, that around the world trip I got as a graduation present? All from his frequent flier miles. He's been to Thailand, Singapore, China, New York, Amsterdam, London, L.A., middle-of-nowhere U.S.A., no big deal. Thus, this impending trip to China was a cinch, he'd been to Shanghai loads of times. However, every time I knelt down to pray I had these visions of my dad in some Chinese alley by himself, something happening and no one speaking the language, knowing who he was or being able to help him. The entire week my parents were in China, I prayed nothing would happen to him. I said to myself, "you're being crazy, he's at work all day and mom's there with him. When would he ever be on his own? If anything (morbid, I know) it's mom I should be worried about, she'll be on her own all day and has never been to Shanghai!"

So imagine my thoughts when, after a nice meal at Founding Farmers in the district, I'm on the metro with a friend and oddly (phone reception underground isn't exactly stellar) I get a phone call from my mom. She'd told me they weren't getting home from China until Saturday and that she'd call me when they arrived in Chicago, thus my confusion when she's ringing my phone a day early. Impressed that I had reception (my phone is crap) and set to give her a hard time about getting her dates right, I answered my phone. As you know, it wasn't the phone call I'd expected.

Now, rewind a few paragraphs. remember what I said? Yeah, basically now experiencing my nightmare. As I sat on the plane to Chicago, I cried thinking my dad might never walk me down the isle (proverbially) or use his negotiating skills to help me buy my first house, or be there to give me advice on jobs. It's been a long road these past few weeks and we're blessed that dad is progressing and who knows, maybe God was answering my avoid-China-disaster prayer. It's also brought up a lot of questions that I need to answer for myself, like the fact that a brain is the outlet for your spirit in this life, so if he (or anyone) has sustained brain injuries, what does that mean for who they really are? Do I have a fake dad the rest of my life? As I said, I've labeled them and I try to sit back and pray for a continued miracle. But what miracles do I have the right to ask for? I was always taught to pray for specifics but as I kneel down to pray I ask myself, how do you align those with God? Do I have the right to ask for my dad to heal completely? Do I have the right to ask for him to be able to go back to work? For him to remember who I am?

Sometimes I feel guilty that I'm not praying as much as everyone else or that I'm not doing as much as everyone else. I even feel guilty that I get another chance with my dad whereas my friend and others don't get that same fortune. Where is the justice? What is the plan? I have to trust he has a plan and he's in control. That's hard though, relinquishing the thought of control, which a friend pointedly told me doesn't exist anyway. "Creating order or trying to force [order] mentally is a losing battle in this life, we live in a fallen world," he said. So amidst my attempt to create order in this life, all I'm left with is a hope it will fall into place, that there is some higher pattern to this that the veil is hiding from me. Because on days like today, when I'd normally call my dad to pep-talk me through my job interview, I give myself my own lousy pep-talk, do the interview... then go to my car and burst into tears.

But it's okay... I got this.

4 comments:

Miss Amy said...

Melinda, you are so strong. You are going through something I can't even imagine... You have the right to pray for anything you want to pray for. As long as you know in your heart that the Lord is watching over your father. He knows what is in the best interest of all. When families go through troubles, I don't think we'll ever look back at them down the road and say "oh, now I know why the Lord put me through that trial..." as we do sometimes with others. Take this one day, one step, one minute at a time. No thinking about future weddings/house-purchases/etc.... No creating a story that has yet to happen. No less, a sad story. Who knows the outcome of this story just yet. Only the Lord.... I hate to think you're going through a "worst fear realized"... Our parents are too young for this crazy business!! Right?? I'm here for you, Melinda. In whatever way you need that to be. A trip to Hawaii friend, a trip to Nashville friend, a trip to NY friend, a talk on the phone friend....Whatever you need. Love you girl.....

Julie Bradshaw said...

I have asked all the same questions you are asking, and am still asking them. I think it's okay that you don't have the answers right now. I am starting to realize that one of the reasons these trials are given to us so that we ask these questions in the first place. I don't think God expects us to be able to answer them right away. I think he expects us to struggle, stumble and fumble through the process of getting answers.

I started to quit struggling and fumbling this last week, tired of it all and determined that I just get a free pass and I'm done asking. Boy did the spirit I didn't even realize I still had with me depart in a hurry. Today I started asking the questions again and I felt it return, though with a firm slap on the hand telling me to never try a stunt like that again.

So, just keep asking. I have to believe the answers will come. Slowly.

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

I don't think it's wrong to ask for what you want from God. It may have little sway on his plan for you, but he's also your Father and wants to comfort you and help you be strong through rough times. Plus, if we don't ask, he can't help. Hang in there sweet girl. Love you.

Unknown said...

Aw, Melinda. This made me teary. I am so sorry you are going through this. Of course there are no easy answers. I am giving you a big hug over the computer!