The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth. While at home, I drove my dad to the doctors so my mom could get some stuff taken care of. It was an interesting experience. Living in D.C., I forget that there are religious people in the world, that I'm not this absolute anomaly. When we walked in, the doctor just kept interjecting his check-up with, "I can't believe how well you look!" or "Miracles do happen!" and "You just made my day, I think I'm going to have to go out in the hallway and cry, this is just so amazing."
While he wasn't overtly religious, his statements let you know that despite his learned pedigree and impressive resume, he recognized that medicine wasn't all there was to it. He even pulled out the number to the trauma doctors in Chicago and said he was going to let them know. "You don't always get good news, so it's nice to know something turned out so well." He reminded me that even when they brought him down to Charlotte they weren't sure what he'd be like. "Sure, we thought you would survive, but we didn't ever expect you to talk or walk again, this is just a miracle!" Of course dad still has a long way to go. I was at the doctors with him because he can't hear and he still feels bad most of the day. But he's a live, that is a miracle.
On the way home my dad said to me, "I'm really disappointed we can't go to England, I was looking forward to it." It surprised me because I had long since mourned the lost opportunity and made myself move on (why torture yourself?) While it definitely will not be the Christmas I had in mind (if you know the stages of brain injury, you'd know the current pains) it nevertheless is a season of miracles and one to be celebrated. May these miracles never cease...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This made my day. I love you all.
Post a Comment