11.04.2010

FoRgOt My CoUnTeR

The bark is worse than the bite, or so they say. I know the people that hang around me a lot because the sight of blood no longer phases them (and there's possibly a test strip in their car/house.) However, about once a week I'll be with people I haven't seen in a long time or someone new will enter the group. Without fail, when they see me jab my finger and test my blood sugar they'll ask exasperatedly, "How often do you do that?!"

To that, I shrug my shoulders. That's like asking someone who pulled an all-nighter how many times they've yawned in the last hour. Who knows, why count?

But for the sake of those few, I did a little counting yesterday. It went as follows:

7:00am wake-up: Test #1
8:30am arrive at work/breakfast: Test #2
10:30 make sure everything's normal: Test #3
12:30 Lunch: Test #4
2:30 afternoon snack: Test #5
4:30 pre gym: Test #6
6:30 post gym/pre dinner: Test #7
8:00pm post gym/dinner follow-up: Test #8
11:00pm pre-bed: Test #9

There you go, approximately nine times a day and of course, that's a good day. Think I could be a hand model?

2 comments:

Lincoln and Alisia said...

wow. I had no idea you had to test that many times a day!

Molly said...

I just want to tell you that you are probably the most responsible diabetic in the entire world. The only diabetics I have know were on the verge of killing themselves. You are awesome and should be the poster child for healthy living!! My cousin is 19 and has gone into at least 2 or 3 diabetic comas. And now he's putting in his mission papers... We'll see how well that goes if he continues on the path he's on... He pretty much says, "I eat whatever I want...I just take more insulin" Except for the fact that he never checks it... obviously.