What are your thoughts on second chances? Clothes get multiple chances, hopefully most shelter pets get a second chance and if you're lucky, you get a second chance on a big exam or essay. We freely give people second chances on a bet or friendly game of hoops, yet when it comes to relationships with an actual human being, we hesitate.
I've realized lately that I'm the go-to person when people need advice and I have to remind myself to be empathetic to them when they're having a hard time with a significant other, roommate, relative etc. The logical part of me just wants to say, "are you kidding me? Look at this evidence, it's not worth it. WALK AWAY."
Yet a few weeks ago, a friend of mine (who I haven't spoken to in years) recently sent me an email. It was quick, it was concise and struck right to the chord I'd been attempting to attune.
"I see your father is getting better, I'm glad for that. I really love my father and I am not ready to say bye so i understand how you felt, but God always gives a second chance to be close to the people we love, and we have the make sure they know how much we love them. God bless you and your family, and I'm happy to know everything is going well. Take care, my beautiful friend..."
I mean, English isn't even her first language and her words brought me to tears. Not only that, but she eloquently expressed something that life has slowly beaten out of me. LIFE is about second chances. Not this eat, sleep, walk kind of life. The life that brings joy, allows triumph, provokes action--that's worth living. If second chances are important enough to God, they sure better be important to me.
To my friend, I say thank you for that reminder.
2 comments:
I think that is some beautiful advice! I have been thinking about that as well...more in the light of me needing second chances given all of the time! Anyway, mercy is a wonderful attribute. I am very glad at what your friend said.
This is exactly what I needed to be reading. Thank you for helping me Meli. Miss you tons.
Post a Comment