3.19.2011

BeWaRe tHe FaT TaX

And if you're white, don't go light. Even though Marta, Michelle and I had brought clothes to India with us that were ruinable (is that a word?) for the Holi festivities, we decided we wanted to get some traditional clothes instead. So, after a day of visiting the Lotus Temple, Akshardham Temple, Rajpath and India Gate, then the Gandhi Memorial, Kushboo took us to the Dilli Haat markets for some cheap Indian wares.

Boo told us to trail behind her so that she could get better prices. When we finally found some nice looking tunics and (per Michelle's wishes) matching golden tights, Boo negotiated 100 rupee for the tunic and 50 rupee for the tights. We quickly began rummaging through the tunics trying on different colors--we had the bonfire to get to! First I wanted the bright pink one, then decided on a red. But Marta liked it so she tried on the red, I tried on the pink and Michelle found a pretty blue one. Marta's fit just fine but when Michelle and I tried to put ours on, it wouldn't fit over our heads. Well, mine barely did but the neck hole was so tight I knew I wouldn't be comfortable. I somewhat felt like that little boy in a Christmas Story: "I can't put my arms down!" In fact, I think I even said that exact phrase. Instead, I chose a turquoise color and Michelle a different blue, each in "one size up."

The store keeper went into the store, brought us our new tunics then presented us with our matchy-match gold tights. We pulled out our money to pay and he said, "150 rupee to you, " pointing to Marta, "and 200 each for the rest." WHAT?! "Why 50 more?" we asked. "Because the tunics were larger," he said.

Michelle and I just looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and laughed really, really hard. We had just been charged the equivalent of a $1 fat tax. However, since the total cost of our entire outfit was $4 instead of $3, we figured we could manage. Especially since Boo had ditched us mid try-on and bought us matching earrings for 10 rupee each. On the way out, Marta and I also bought jelly shoes for 100 rupee each. I'm sure we could have gotten it cheaper, but when was the last time you bought an entire outfit for under $5? So, I just paid and yelled, Happy Holi! as we had all evening, then made our way back to our waiting driver.

Of course I think I laughed harder when we got back to the house, tried on our outfits and realized we looked naked with our golden tights on. Americans, always creating a scandal.

No comments: