3.24.2011

BoLLyWoooooD!

Dance sequence take five in 3...2...1. Action! After our record breaking trip through Agra and Jaipur, M3 made our way back to Delhi just in time to get a few hours sleep then catch a flight north to Amritsar. When we arrived at our hotel we laid by the pool for a few hours to rest our eyes then headed out to explore and make a full day of our 8-hour long driver rental. First on the list was the Jallianwala Bagh Garden, site of the peaceful protest by 20,000 Indians and their subsequent massacre by British troops (and a big impetus for India's peaceful revolution for freedom.)

As we began wandering around we noticed a lot of commotion at the far end of the area (unusual for such a somber memorial) and headed over to get a closer look. We noticed a lot of old, white tourists dancing together in a group with Indians decked out in traditional wear around them. At first we thought we'd stumbled upon a festival we didn't know about, until we realized this was all being filmed by a professional crew. When the director (a very large indian man) saw us, he got really excited and told us to get in. He shoved me toward the front, but always averse to attention, I quickly sunk toward the back. I had no idea what was going on, thought it a bit odd and therefore just wanted to watch. Soon filming wrapped up and I started chatting with an Australian man. I discovered that this odd event was actually part of filming for a Bollywood movie. Apparently they'd needed a lot of white tourists for one part and were now moving on to a dance sequence.

As you can imagine, realizing we'd wandered onto a Bollywood set was intriguing. We decided to stick around mostly just to get a glimpse of the stars. Here, I will again say it paid to be a white girl. We were able to quickly make our way to the front and some set help let us stand front and center next to the actors resting chairs.

Michelle played papparazzi on this occasion and took some fantastic shots of our McIndi hottie. She also got some great action shots of the 80s backstreet boy dancers. They took their jobs very, very seriously and it was fun to watch them practice in between takes. And by fun, I mean mostly hysterical. I don't think we'll ever know what movie it was, but that's okay, I have some great close-ups to look at and smooth dance moves to practice. Jai Ho everyone!



No comments: