4.29.2011

LeAvE tHe HiGh-BrOw To KaTE

I want my box back. When my family moved from South Jordan, Utah to Hamilton, Va., I was nearly eleven years old. By that age I had collected an assortment of books, Strawberry Shortcake dolls, my sister's My Little Ponies and one of my prized possessions: Princess Diana paper dolls.

Prior to the move all our household items were boxed, stored and a few months later (we lived with my grandparents until the house was done) shipped to our new home. When the boxes arrived I waited... and waited and... my box of toys and books never came. I was so upset, no books, no sister's toys and no paper dolls.

Of course as the years progressed I forgot about my toys, grew up and moved on with my life. However, my love of the royal family has always been somewhat of a joke (when I was little, I told people the queen was my grandma.) I collected Princess Di stamps and even managed to snag a few Prince William stamps from UK friends on the mission. All in all, it was one of those subtle undercurrents of my youth.

Now in my mature adulthood, I like to think I've grown up and moved on from such things. Thus, the Wednesday before Kate & Wills wedding when my yoga instructor asked who of all of us was going to get up at 5am and watch the wedding, I looked around in shock at the number of women who were actually said yes! Me, I guess I just like sleep to much. I thought they were crazy.

Then I got a text on Thursday night. My friend was having a breakfast and wedding watching party beginning promptly at 5am. NO WAY, i thought, but my roommates all wanted to watch it and (being an easy caver) I said I'd get up. However, I said I would watch it in my pjs in my own house. They heartily agreed. They also all wanted a proper English breakfast and when they started brainstorming what they had in mind, I knew I had to take charge. Cereal, yogurt and hot chocolate does not an English Breakfast make. I told them I'd swing by the grocery store on my home from the gym and holy goodness were the crumpets and cheeses gone! Luckily, I didn't want a high brow breakfast. I headed straight for the baked beans, grabbed a loaf of bread, a stack of bacon and even faux digestive biscuits to go with our tea. Hey, if I was going to do this, I was going to do it right!

Yes, 5am came earlier than expected, that's why I slept until 5:30 (then took a nap before heading to work.) The wedding was fantastic. Celeb guest, designer gown, gorgeous venue, two people that actually loved each other--tres romantic. Everyone was taking about it in the office. Emails were flying around about the atrocious hats worn by Will's cousins, "who wore it best" and of course any David Beckham siting was noted.

Amidst all the commotion, I was secretly wondering how much my Princess Di dolls would be worth right now, and reverted to the obsession of really wanting my box back, yes nearly 20 years later.
Beans on toast, bacon and tea.
Cheers to Will and Kate!

No comments: