Yes, MY name, so don't wear it out! I have a complex about my name, I will admit it. I've never liked it because I don't think it fits me very well. My mom really wanted to name me Jessica after the character in Man from Snowy River, but apparently I just didn't look like one. Therefore, me born= insert blank stare. Somehow they came up with the name Melinda. I've heard it was from a newspaper write-up of magician in Las Vegas, but that could be an urban legend.
I remember on my mission (where you only go by your last name) when people would find out my given name they'd more often than not say, "huh, that doesn't fit you at all." [insert sad face here]. Really? I mean, just because I'm not entirely comfortable with it doesn't mean you can be as well! I also had a friend once say, "I don't like Melinda. I'm just going to call you Mel, okay?" Uh, okay, I guess good thing my good friends calls me that anyway?!
There was even a period of time during high school/college when I was going to pay to have my name changed. The problem was, even with friends brainstorming I could never find one I really liked. Sure Helen, Emmie, Chloƫ and Moira sound good but I wasn't sold on any of them. So, I just ended up leaving it alone. After all, how all the sudden do you tell people, "Please start calling me Emmie."
Amidst all that turmoil, I knew the one good thing about my first + last name combo was that I was literally the only person in the world with my name--I was somewhat proud of that fact. And then last year some little trick namedRachel Melinda decided to go and get married to some guy with the last name of Skea, thus becoming Melinda Skea. I didn't like that at all. I mean who does she think she is that after 28 years of my life she can come in and have my name? Of all the nerve. Well okay, I wasn't that annoyed but I did have a tiny wince of sadness.
Then last summer I decided to take a FB fast in an effort to detox my life. When I got back on, I saw a news feed from a friend saying, "ISO Melinda Skea!" with comments from other friends wondering where I had gone. That made me happy, they missed me! It also made me secretly happy that within those few months, sub Melinda Skea must have gotten a few too many emails and friend requests meant for me (several people told me they'd tried) because she had changed her FB name to include her maiden name. Ha, love it! Once again, at least as far as the cyber world is concerned, I am the only Melinda Skea on the planet.

I remember on my mission (where you only go by your last name) when people would find out my given name they'd more often than not say, "huh, that doesn't fit you at all." [insert sad face here]. Really? I mean, just because I'm not entirely comfortable with it doesn't mean you can be as well! I also had a friend once say, "I don't like Melinda. I'm just going to call you Mel, okay?" Uh, okay, I guess good thing my good friends calls me that anyway?!
There was even a period of time during high school/college when I was going to pay to have my name changed. The problem was, even with friends brainstorming I could never find one I really liked. Sure Helen, Emmie, Chloƫ and Moira sound good but I wasn't sold on any of them. So, I just ended up leaving it alone. After all, how all the sudden do you tell people, "Please start calling me Emmie."
Amidst all that turmoil, I knew the one good thing about my first + last name combo was that I was literally the only person in the world with my name--I was somewhat proud of that fact. And then last year some little trick named
Then last summer I decided to take a FB fast in an effort to detox my life. When I got back on, I saw a news feed from a friend saying, "ISO Melinda Skea!" with comments from other friends wondering where I had gone. That made me happy, they missed me! It also made me secretly happy that within those few months, sub Melinda Skea must have gotten a few too many emails and friend requests meant for me (several people told me they'd tried) because she had changed her FB name to include her maiden name. Ha, love it! Once again, at least as far as the cyber world is concerned, I am the only Melinda Skea on the planet.

6 comments:
for the record, i like the name melinda and i think it suits you just fine. And it was one of my most favorite names in the world when i was a little girl.
hilarious, because this happened to me too!! Amy married Matt Scerra from Massachusetts. WEIRDEST part, is that the girl Amy, went to Webster High School with my sister!!! so so weird.
I feel virtually ungoogleable because my name is so common!!! haha
I WAS named after Jessica in The Man From Snowy River!
I knew we were meant to be friends :) that and the fact that both our mom's names are deb!
The whole mission thing not a valid assessment of your first name. everyone is weirded out when they finally realize your a real person with a first name no matter what the name is it just seems strange. But to be honest I never liked my name either. Maybe because everyone used to sing, "oh susanna" to me. I hated that. or call me susan or even worse sue. WHatever, I changed my name to Lala. atleast in hawaii
Post a Comment