6.30.2011

BaCk Up pLaNnEr

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but for some reason people look at me with those same judging eyes. I acknowledge that in some psychobabble circles my online paranoia speaks to something darker, but to me it's just a matter of well, a need for order.

I recognize that Facebook, Twitter, Delicious, multiple emails, ebanking and online shopping is just the way things are. I'm fine with that. In fact, I do every single one of them (yup, that's right, I even tweet thanks to roomies and #MtIda!) If they (whoever "they" is) want to track my spending habits and find things I like and will buy, okay thanks...save me some time! However, there is something unnerving about the fact that all these things would continue once I'm dead (yes, slightly morbid but true.) Just thinking my Facebook persona would be floating around once I'm gone, someone maybe even posting on my wall when I'm no longer even on this earth? Or thinking that there is this growing inbox with piles and piles of unopened emails? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I just can't handle it. When I'm gone, I want them all gone too.

I was recently discussing this with one of my friends, and he said, "it's just like having kids, it's your legacy left here on earth." To that I say: FALSE. Children and social mediums are an extension of me, yes. However, while children grow and continue to evolve once I'm gone, my social medium extensions are stagnant, become decrepit and quite frankly, it just creeps me out that my Facebook profile pic or blog site would be floating around like some hollowed memorial. Not to mention free for the identify theft pickins'.

But how do you plan for that? I'll tell you how, you find a backup planner who knows all your passwords and agrees to go in and delete them at the appropriate time. By accident, my lovely friend Danielle M. knows my phone password so she's got that taken care of--right Danielle? Any takers on the other parts!? Hm, and now that I think about it, maybe I should have more than one. I'm totally willing to be yours if you'll be mine! Just think, all your business laid to rest when you're laid to rest. Not that's peaceful sleeping.

2 comments:

Miss Amy said...

hahahaha. it's funny, but i've never thought about it! and yes, it is creepy, and yes, i do want my facebook/twitter erased! I want the blog printed out, then erased. How about we do a "i'll erase yours, if you erase mine" pact? oh yah, my handle on twit is @amydidwhat . go find me. ;)

M. said...

yah! We're twits together :) And done. Have you printed any of your books off yet? I just finished my 2010 book and it was 310 pages. eek!