10.19.2011

MTV NaTiOn(s)

There are two must-haves on my list when I travel. First, I must always go to a grocery store and second, I must always check out MTV.

I feel grocery stores/bazaars are a must when traveling abroad. I love seeing what is available in different countries, how they present things and what kinds of snacks they eat. Plus, pricing is all over the map. This go around, mid way through my trip I skipped out on a planned outing to a tea farm and silk factory because I'd already done it and had loads of work to do; It also ends up that was the only time I could do an interview with the company's president. So, while everyone else was off getting suckered into buying green tea, I walked down to Walmart with two men I'd met on the trip from Michigan.

Wow. Two (and a half, with rows of scooters on your way up) levels of Wallyworld bargains. First, clothing, electronics and books (I bought a pair of pajamas for my youngest niece and some Chinese children's books.) Then you head down to the food section and that's where all the eye adventure is. Rows of dried duck hanging in a row, pallets of dried various sea creatures [not so] ripe for the picking. I went over to one section to peak in the tubs and there was a little froggy looking up at me! I got a little sad seeing the various turtles for sale next to the eels. One even had a chunk taken out of its shell... poor little guy. I took some photos, bought some herbs, random candy for the coworkers and we left the putrid smell of Walmart for an American lunch a la McDonalds--proving once again that I never eat it at home, but always at least once abroad (this trip was twice.)

Then, after our 3 mile walk and burgerfest, I took a little rest before my scheduled interview. I plopped down on my bed and turned on MTV--please note my nail polish color, I chose "Chopsticking to my Story" just for this trip. Asian pop is almost as entertaining as Asian hip hop, almost. I was impressed, though, that in the 30 minutes the TV was on, only one song was actually in English and that honor went to Michael Jackson's You Are Not Alone. So, while China may hate Google, they embraced MTV and ran with it. I think this is also having a spill-over effect as the young Chinese population gains more of a disposable income. Compared to other times I've been to China, this was the first time I noticed trendily-dressed teenagers. Justin Beiber haircuts accentuated by chunky glasses (sometimes without lenses in them), 80s high tops or Converse on their feet and low slung jeans. Ah yes, the world would not be complete without low slung jeans... a sure sign of democracy.




1 comment:

Miss Amy said...

i cannnnnot believe there were eels in Walmart. Love the footsie picture, of course!!! :)