12.30.2011

PaR fOr ThE PoLiTiCaL CoUrSe

Sometimes knowledge is power, other times it's just pure disgusting. In high school I ADORED President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who maybe affectionately (who knows) was named FDR. I was in awe of the work he was able to do during the Great Depression to get people to work through the New Deal, his forethought into implementing national parks--and making some of the best national parks in the world.

Then I went to college and my view completely changed. Sure, I recognized that a lot of politicians were shady and most cheated on their wives. But for some reason I thought FDR was different. Ah, youth. My thesis was on America's response to the Spanish Civil War and as part of it I had to dive into the life and presidency of FDR. The more I learned, the more almost betrayed I felt. He cheated on his wife sooooo many times, and maybe like Hillary Clinton, she knew it and said fine... just give me the latitude to do what I want. I'm not saying that the work she did in the U.N. and world peace organizations don't matter... they do. I just wouldn't want that for a sham marriage that was more business deal than love.

So, I suppose I've gone through life these last few years a bit jaded when it comes to politicians (and part of the reason I avoid dating congressmen/lobbyists/lawyers-who-want-to-be-politicians). I try to remain optimistic, buuuuuuut. And let's just say that the trip Amy and I took with my parents to Hughenden Manor, Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli's house, did that thought no favors. He was a social climber who got in good with Queen Victoria, wooed widowed rich ladies for their money and made no qualms about his lust for power. There is a plaque on the wall with a quote from his wife that she KNEW he was marrying her just for her money. EEEk. Regardless, I will acknowledge, his house was beautiful and apparently they did fall in love eventually; apparently.


I did love the fact that a portion of the house was used during WWII for map recon. Apparently it was on the top of Germany's "destroy" list but they could never find it; they expected it to be in the heart of London. Way to go sneaky Brits!



No comments: