You know it's time for an upgrade when: a spider drops from the roof of your car and almost makes you cause an accident, the AC is described as "intermittent" and a door doesn't open... from the outside, oh and that the muffler starts shaking and your a few days away from it falling off. I bought my Honda Civic the summer before my junior year in college. Most of my good friends were studying abroad for the semester and when my studies to Jerusalem were cancelled because of fighting in the region I had to scramble for a place to live as well as a mode of transport (no generous friends to rely on!) It served me well; it made one trip to California and a side trip to Mexico, many trips up the canyon to snowboard, and four trips cross country: Utah to New York, D.C. to Utah, Utah to North Carolina, North Carolina to Utah (southern route) and back again. I paid it off 6 months after I graduated along with my school loan and can I tell you how amazing it was to be debt free? How else do people think i was able to go on all the trips I have?!
Sadly, in it's 11th year of life the AC went out and the drivers side back door wouldn't open from the outside. The later, meh whatever and AC I paid to fix. However, all summer it kept working one minute, not working the next five. I vowed that i would start saving up money and next year buy a new car. Thus after a year of saving, as the summer temps began to soar I went test driving. The VW Golf, the Mazda 3, the Mazda CX5 (my fav), the Rav 4 and the Honda Civic. Eventually money met comfort and i decided on a white Mazda 3 hatchback. oh, does this little guy seem like luxury! Heated leather seats, blue tooth, side warning monitors and loads of other little gadgets…oh, and air conditioning! Handing over the keys to my black honda made me nostalgic for the many college adventures, but it quickly faded as I jumped in my new car that Friday night, not even looking in the rear view mirror … we had a movie to catch!
No comments:
Post a Comment