6.22.2012

The Big One(s)

IMG_2599Our first date was June 18, 2011. Admittedly I'm the one that has a hard time remembering that! However, I did scroll through ALL my text messages to find the exact date. So, that day I'd prepared a little gift and card for him and was SO excited to spend the evening with him. I don't expect huge gifts or packages or the "TA DUM!" but you know, something acknowledging it is special date.
Well, the evening rolls around and he calls up and says he'll be at my house in a few minutes. When he arrives I run down the stairs (nicely dressed i might add) and hop in the car. He gives me a kiss and says, "so what do you want to do for dinner tonight?" (note: this is a regular occurrence). I was a little taken aback as I handed him his gift and said, "um, whatever?" His response, Le Pain Quotidien.
Now, everyone knows I LOVE LPQ (yes we go there so often we've made it an acronym) but it's not exactly 1 year material. I said sure, and didn't say another word until we got to the restaurant. He could obviously tell something was bothering me, asked and from there commenced a rather large outpouring of emotion (yelling and crying, I admit); I would call it a huge fight but it was actually just really one sided. He felt horrible, (and writing this a year later, I can't remember why he didn't do anything. Not that it wasn't important to him but that... i don't remember.) We ate dinner in not the most lovey dovey of circumstances then left. He asked if I'd be willing to let him make it up... sure, I shrugged.
So, Saturday rolls around, and it was lovely. He picked me up, knocking on my door with roses. When I got in his car, he had Godiva chocolates waiting on the seat for me (my fav).  He had made reservations at Legal Seafood for dinner, but before we walked into the restaurant he reached in the back and pulled out another gift for me (at this point I felt bad), and it was a beautiful peridot bracelet--I asked him to put it on me immediately. Then we walked in side and had a lovely dinner.
I know for some boy-ish reason he didn't mark the momentous occasion, but to be honest, I've never doubted for a second that he loves me, gifts or not.

No comments: