[gallery type="slideshow" ids="4533,4532,4531,4530" orderby="rand"]
I think it only appropriate that I write about my last 4th of July on this 4th of July (2013)… as I sit on a train going from Vienna to Prague (yes i did drop that in there). Oh the difference a year can make, right? Last year at this time, M and I had been spending loads of time with Michelle and Betrand before little Oliver was due and before they moved out west. Close to the 4th (it may have even been the 3rd ha!) they invited us over to their place for the evening. Since we had been struggling with what to do, we jumped at the chance to spend it with them as well as Arianne and Aaron.
Now, I love the 4th with its parades, homemade ice cream and general good weather but I always find night time holidays a bit awkward. Most roommates were out of town so when I woke up, I woke Shannon up and we began our day off celebrating. We made an amazing breakfast (martha stewart rhubarb pancakes, bacon and eggs) and lazed about... I believe watching old Star Trek episodes; i can't remember why! We made our goods for the evenings picnic and went to Home Depot to buy succulents for our DIY terrariums. We got back a little late so when the men arrived we packed up our goods and all of us made the trek into D.C. (a little bit haphazardly since a lot of roads were closed!)
When everyone arrived, we made the hike up the roof to claim our spot, or course giving the light loads to Arianne and Michelle, our expectant mothers. Everyone had brought delicious americana fair to share such as pulled pork sandwiches, watermelon, potato salad, chips, ice cream, salad and more. We just chatted and played games until the fireworks started and when they did, oh my! From their rooftop not only could we see the D.C. fireworks, but those in Old Town and Annapolis … and the rebellious few who did their own! When the fireworks ended we all lingered awhile; it's always hard to say goodbye to friends and of course such a good holiday.
No comments:
Post a Comment