8.02.2012

RuLeS oF tHe pLaYgRoUnD

Don't let these innocent looks fool you. Any child of the 80s can recall fondly red bouncy balls, they were coveted equipment of recess time. In my particular class our teacher would assign recess "toys" at the beginning of the day.

Jump ropes, meh.
Hop scotch set, eeeeh.
Soccer ball, perhaps.
small red bouncy balls, maaaaybe.
Large red bouncy ball, YEEEEEES!

You had to be quick to the draw (and perhaps a teacher's favorite) to get it on any normal basis. It was this kiddie political jockeying that got me my red bouncy ball privilege and  my first school reprimand. Yes, one fateful day in kindergarten (what can I say, my assertiveness started young) I got the glorious, red bouncy ball. My friends and I waited patiently for recess so we could play whatever game our hearts desired with the ginormous (to our little hands at least) ball.

Recess came (wahoo!) but soon after it began a boy in my class had the audacity to steal the ball away from us. I was fuming, and he thought there was nothing we could do about it because our teacher was at the other end of the playground monitoring the jungle gym. Well I don't know what his family dynamics were like but in my circle there was no way that was going to fly.  What did I do? I marched over, punched him in the face and took my ball back.

Okay, so I admit maybe my tactic wasn't the best. My teacher chose that moment to saunter on over to our end of the playground and witnessed the whole thing. Did he get in trouble for stealing, noooo. But I had my "recess privileges" taken away--injustice! While other people were enjoying my ball I had to take push-pins out of the wall.

Lesson: When sticking up for yourself, don't get caught by tyrannical teachers who favor boys that cry. 

No comments: