10.29.2012

Sandy Lock Down

Hunkered down with roomies, popcorn and movies. The last weekend of October Hurricane Sandy rolled into town. Have no fear, though, the old and faithful #MtIda had electricity the entire time! Sandy caused havoc in the D.C. area but somehow we were able to avoid the overwhelming, torrential damage that rained (pun intended) in New York City.

The storm was supposed to really role into the area Sunday night, but Ana R. and I braved the storm and met at a Cosi to book our tickets and plan India (woot! woot!) We found a ticket but bolted so we could get home before it really got bad. That night, I booked my ticket as people began coming over to weather out the few day storm... beginning with a late night movie.

As roommates (and guests) we made sure that breakfasts were well stocked, popcorn was plentiful (I invented two mixes: my now fav go-to of salt and pepper, and cinnamon and sugar) and the movies were rolling. After watching a few Jane Austin's, Erin and I braved the storm and went and found the last Twilight movie. It was amazing to see the evolution of our living room as everyone found their spots, started in on the DIYs,  the culinary skills came out and of course as the ratio of men and women changed to movies evolved to be more gender neutral (do you count Harry Potter as gender neutral? We did.)

I was concerned because the day the storm was supposed to really slam D.C. was the same time that MK was supposed to be arriving back from India. By sheer luck Emirates didn't cancel his flight and I watched the clock nervously seeing what would happen Monday morning. Hurrah! He landed safely and after going home and freshening up, he came over and joined the party... baring a LOT of gifts. Yes, mostly for me (beautiful scarves (plural) tunics, earrings, necklaces, bracelets) and freshly made Lindt chocolate from the Dubai airport.  As Ken said, when he arrived, the party really began... i think that just means he was glad another male fixture was in the house.

#LMV

[gallery type="rectangular" ids="4763,4764,4765,4768,4767,4769,4770,4771"]

No comments: