1.16.2013

Across Deserts and Diva Cars

 

IMG_3763

The last morning in Bombay was filled with excitement as well as sadness. Ana and I packed up our things, went down to breakfast (where i threw up, perhaps from the malaria pills) and said goodbye to everyone to everyone. We had a bit of time to kill before we went to the airport so we went on a last minute hunt to find a wooden elephant for Ana. Our driver took us to a spot, we ran in and ... then began the haggling. She ended up finding a beautiful piece and I even bought a few last minute presents! We then sped off to the airport and boarded the flight, I looked out the window and said goodbye to Bombay, and off we went to Dubai.

When we landed in Dubai, customs was quite the affair, and the eyeliner wearing Emirati asked her, "are you Indian", she was a bit upset knowing what that meant coming from an Arab. We were shocked at how indifferent, snotty and indifferent the men treat women. No, "you first", or "can I offer you a hand?" it was most certainly a "them first" mentality. When we got out to the airport we even saw that there we pink taxis especially for women!

We made our way to the hotel, checked in and decided to go out for some good food. We ended up going to this very NOT busy area of Dubai, wandered for a bit (in shops with no one else in them) and finally found some food. I let Ana do the ordering as she'd traveled extensively in the middle east, and she picked amazing things! We chatted and had a good time eating then looking for trinkets.

Before heading back to the hotel we did one of my favorite things, wandered around a grocery store! We got snacks, water and looked to see what treats there were. I got a tin of lotion, which once used i could repurpose, some yogurt and food for the next morning and of course a bit of chocolate. Once in the hotel we crashed, watched tv and celebrating being DONE with the program ... minus the papers of course! However, those aren't due for another few months, so here's to some fun for the next few days!

[gallery ids="5101,5104,5103"]

No comments: