1.08.2013

Sari, Too Expensive

I will admit this up front, this is not one of my best moments. I've apologized to Ana multiple times, we can blame it on jet lag, emotional stress, separation anxiety... i really have no idea. The story is as follows:

After lunch and before class actually started, Ana and I decided to go wander around. After getting yelled at by a coconut salesman, we headed back to the hotel and came across a sari shop. Both of us mused, "i don't even know how you'd wear that!" and on a whim, we decided to go scope them out. As we began wandering around it was clear that the sales attendants were not going to leave us alone, so after being asked yet again how they could help us, I said, "yes, she'd like to try on a sari." Ana was game and the fun began!

They were all intrigued by how exotic but semi Indian she looked, and of course stunning in each sari they put on her. When we realized how much they cost ($12), we thought... it's stupid NOT to get one! So then we started shopping for realsies. We tried on ones we knew we couldn't afford, looked at ones we could and shunned the cheapos.

Yes, and then the time came that I found one I loved. I was ready to purchase it and they said, "oh, sorry this isn't the price, this is the price." Looking back, it was $60 and I should have just gotten it, but when you're thinking in rupees and how many rupees that is, bells go off in your head. I was devastated (why, i don't know) and they tried to show me the more affordable, fugly ones and i just sat in a chair on my own and let Ana look. They kept asking if I wanted my white sari (no, too much) and Ana came over trying to cheer me up, "don't be such a poopy pants!" and burst out, "leave me alone!" and started crying uncontrollably.

Now, can someone please explain that to me? I don't know... i really don't know. No adult should act like that, so instead, i focus on the first 45 minutes of our adventure, look longingly at my white sari and be grateful I had such an interesting experience with the cute little sales girls treating us like their life-sized barbie dolls.

[gallery type="slideshow" ids="4929,4946,4950,4949,4947,4921,4922,4923,4925,4926,4924,4928"]

No comments: