5.09.2013

Leave a Place Better Than You Found It

[caption id="attachment_4506" align="alignright" width="300"]Beloved Mt Ida updates: brick path to the back, flower bed, grass along the entire front yard and a brick side area for the trash. Yup, all by yours truly. [/caption]

When Arianne, Aubree and I first moved into #MtIda the place was in need of some generous TLC. The previous tenants had been a house of hippie parents. Case in point, the kids play area was on the back porch and they asked the landlord to leave a stump of a dead tree so the kids could play on it. mmh, okay! We all got to work bringing order to the chaos. Arianne and Allison took the side yard to make it usable, Aubree the backyard (she was turning into the garden area) and a fire pit, and me the front yard. In the beginning it was overrun weeds, ivy, irises (i do regret losing those) and a dead rose bush smack in the middle. I began pulling up all the weeds and leveling it so our landlord Mark could lay grass and as I dug (it took me 3 days of tiring work) I found the most random things buried in the dirt. A terra-cotta pig, railroad beams, which I used to create a flower bed) and an ENORMOUS amount of bricks (we all did throughout the area. When we stacked them it equated to over 100 bricks). I eventually used the bricks to create a path to the backyard as well as a "storage area" for the recycling and trash bins. We had one lady, to this day I'm not sure if it was a neighbor or not, say we were ruining the place but everyone else said they were so glad we moved in and already were making it look better than it was before. Sure I probably couldn't get paid to do what I did, but I'm still pretty proud of it!

No comments: