It was a Sunday, my friends had just left and I was on the phone with an old mission companion. My phone kept beeping with text messages but I didn't bother to look. Then, Molly's husband came and told us Pres. Hinckley had died. I was shocked, I know he was old but... of all general conferences he seemed so full of life this past October! we were both quiet for a minute, and the way I deal with things..just shoved it away. It just didn't feel real! It still didn't feel real this morning until my friend just sent me this:
Clip of President Hinckley
I just started crying...at my office! His words brought hope through those awkward teen years, guidance as a struggling missionary and now as a trying-to-do-the-best-she-can single adult. I was lucky enough to have a few run-ins with him on my mission at Temple Square. But, my favorite memory was after, I went to sacrament in the JSMB and watched he and President Faust joke around as old friends as they walked in. I learned so much just watching them and it brought a smile to my face! (might I add they were such sharp dressers too!) He was an amazing man, well more than that, he was a prophet of the Lord. I admired his ability to love, his spunk for life, his tenacity, his desire to do right, his testimony and his absolute cheekiness! Seeing his face on this clip from his cute wife's funeral makes me happy he is with her again... but what a loss for the rest of us. :( I am grateful I was able grow up in a time of his influence and am reminded each day to stand a little taller...be a little kinder... be more of a disciple of Jesus Christ.
Oct 2007 talk: "Now...I plead with you to control your tempers, to put a smile upon your faces, which will erase anger; speak out with words of love and peace, appreciation, and respect. If you will do this, your lives will be without regret. Your marriages and family relationships will be preserved. You will be much happier. You will do greater good. You will feel a sense of peace that will be wonderful. May the Lord bless you and inspire you to walk without anger, without bitterness of any kind, but to reach out to others with expressions of friendship, appreciation, and love. This is my humble prayer, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

2 comments:
thanks melinda for sharing that video . we all knew he would sooner or later leave us and be with his wife, but this morning i was shocked when i heard the news.
he has been our teen prophet and the one who sended us on missions, their will be many many memories i will keep for ever thanks to his teachings and great example!
big hug to you.
It is a sad day. Well, I'm trying to just think about the reunion he is having right now and it is a joyous thought so I'll keep that in my head. He will be missed. Love you.
Post a Comment