2.24.2008

I am 17 going on......27?!!!

Camping after H.S. graduation vs. my 27th birthday dinner


Well, I turned twenty-seven. I will admit this is the first birthday that kind of made me freak out. 25th was fantastic- Las Vegas and a Dictator themed party, a perfect age; 26th I kind of just forgot about, when people would ask me how old I was I had to stop and think about it. Now... I realize wow, I'm getting OLD!! When I was home at Christmas I was looking through old H.S. photos and just had to laugh. I really have changed in some ways (example above: dress style-oh, and look at how long my hair was). I think I am fundamentally the same person, albeit hopefully a much better person and taking on continued improvements! I started thinking, seriously, WHAT have I done in the past 10 years?

I thought about a quote from one of my favorite movies:
"I find the key is to think of a day as units of time, each unit consisting of no more than thirty minutes. Full hours can be a little bit intimidating and most activities take about half an hour. Taking a bath: one unit, watching countdown: one unit, web-based research: two units, exercising: three units, having my hair carefully disheveled: four units. It's amazing how the day fills up..."- Will, About a Boy

That being said, I did a bit of calculations. Sorry, I don't feel like adding up all units of time, but here are some fun ones!

One Day: 48 units; One Week: 336units; One Year:17, 520 units; Ten Years: 175,200 Units

Sleeping: 7,840 units (given that it will average out with lack of sleep and sleeping in)
Undergraduate Degree: (2,560 units (10hrsx20days per monthx8months per year) x 5 yrs)=16,000-ish units
Served a Mission: 117, 520 units
Travel: 12,787 units
(Las Vegas (6 times): 864u, Italy: 672u , Montana: 192u, California: 296u, Mexico: 240u, Wyoming: 96u, Idaho(2x): 144u, England: 627u, Spain: 5800u, France: 16u, Romania:672u, New Zealand:1008u, Australia: 240u, Japan: 240u, China: 480u, Denmark: 144u, South Carolina: 144u, Florida:288u, Thailand: 480u, Cambodia: 144u, Singapore:132u, Malaysia:104u, West Virginia (2 times): 106u)
Worked various jobs: (part time 8mo/yr x 5yr) + ( full time 4 mo/yr x 5 yr) + (1.7 yr career job-vacation days)=32000+104,000+32934-1280=167,654 units
Having my hair carefully disheveled: 60 units ;) hey, I'm low maintenance

I guess I wonder, what are you suppose to accomplish by your 10 year reunion? Huh, well, too late now! Did anyone go to their reunion? Anyone freaking out about getting older, is it just me?..

ps. my Birthday was great: an early dinner at Mai Thai, a day downtown at the Air & Space Museum, National Art Museum, out to a falafel joint, shopping, homemade dinner with friends and a movie- oh and the festivities continue this week, yeah! Thanks to all my great friends near and far who made it so wonderful! some photos here
pps. I also posted other photos I found over Christmas...that probably only a select few of you will enjoy, but enjoy you will! College Days

13 comments:

Catherine said...

Happy birfday! When you feel old, remember that I still have almost a year on you ;) So not going to my hs reunion... but I'm scared that it's coming up nonetheless!

Stefanie Panhuyzen said...

Happy birthday!!!!! I know what you mean by feeling old. Try 28 - it makes me sick to my stomach every time I have to say I'm 28. :P I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo...haha...love that song. Got me even more depressed in my teenage years.

The Chan Clan said...

DANG!!! I meant to give you a call! I stink! Happy Birthday anyways.

Ummm...is the units thing a new thing? Or am I just way behind!

M. said...

Units? No, No...just from the movie About a Boy. One of my favs, if you havent seen it I think you'd like it. I mean you do like Dumb and Dumber :)Its wittier and just as funny!

Kimi said...

Haha! No high school reunions for me! I think I got a lifetime of high school while I was in it. :)

ANJ said...

wow, you're such a mathemetician! here's to one unit of my life just wasted by blog-surfing... back to productivity for me!

Heather Sanders said...

Wow, thanks for posting those college days pics. Priceless. I just had a serious trip down memory lane. Life sure has been good... and fun. I'm so glad you have those all on digital now. I've probably lost all my prints. Yea for you!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Melinda! You are still baby...don't start thinking you're old until at least 30. Which is exactly how old I am.

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Wow, I have gotten so much fatter since those college pictures! That was good motivation for me to loose the rest of this baby weight! That trip down memory lane makes me long for those care-free days again! Although you failed to mention in the human pyramid picture that it began to fall due to someone loosing bladder control. The culprit will remain nameless!

M. said...

if only I had the baby fat excuse! and HEY cuidate, it makes it sound like it was me (!) so for all blogging world it was a certain person by the code name "rolo"

Miss Amy said...

in high school, i was always jealous that your birthday was so much earlier in the year than mine. you turned 16 first, driving, dating, turning 18.... always first :) but NOW my dear, i'm not so jealous!!!! i'm 26 for 2 1/2 more months!!! hehe. ok. i'm done gloating.

love the early pic of you. was that at high adventure? did i take that?!

M. said...

ha! how funny. Amy, remember when we took your moms van out for a drive? We were such dorks. Yes that was high adventure a-la you! It was when we were in those fold out chairs overlooking the water. SUCH goodtimes...while i could care less about a HS reunion i'd do that again in a heart beat!! up for it?! :)

Heidi said...

I was laughing out loud when I read this. Who is Rolo? :) I love the camping picture. So perfect.