3.03.2008

How do you judge a book?


I went to our local grocery store a week or so ago and was AMAZED by my check-out girl. Is that the proper name? Not sure... Anyways, this girl was, to say the least the epitome of a ghetto fabulous superstar, was the friendliest person and I immediately loved her! She greeted, chatted, and was generally very attentive to my shopping experience. It was raining so she asked if I wanted help out to my car or even if I just wanted to borrow an umbrella- phenomenal.
Now lest you think i had prejudged her based on her ghetto fabulousness, not really. It's one of those things that I am around this "type" of person every day so its just part of life, right next to the trench-coat-wearing-CIA/Congressmen. So, no matter what a person looks like, in my book everyone starts with a clean "average" slate! What you DO however gives someone major bonus or severe negative points. This woman? Major bonus points, I was so impressed with her. It made me start thinking of the things I look for or assess to give people their (+) or (-) points. This is what I've come up with:

1) opens the door for others (including elevator): you do- good, you should! You don't... guaranteed I'm saying bad things about you in my mind.
2) Use of "thank you": not just to me, but to people that normally don't get it- a bus driver, a street sweeper, a food server...you name it.
3) use of obscenities: we're adults people, can you not think of a more educated let alone eloquent way to express yourself???
4) Offering your seat to another: I'm a modern age girl, I don't mind standing. Sure, guys give up your seats to girls...but boys AND girls, pregnant women and senior citizens do exist.
5) When walking by you make eye contact. Super bonus points- saying hello
6) Giving change to homeless people or the Salvation Army
7) Stay to help clean up after a large gathering
8) When invited for dinner- bringing something for the host

So here is the list I thought of off the top of my head, what are some of yours?...

5 comments:

Kim said...

You love me...I score high on your list :)

I AM satisfied with my hair, because I too dont care a whole lot!!

Teresa said...

Great post! I like your list. My 11 year old and i want to add:
9)People who can laugh at themselves.
10)When someone knows when to stop talking and when to listen.
Thanks!

Catherine said...

11) people who go to the cheesecake factory twice in two days (and finish the enormous portion sizes because their hotel room has no fridge).

12) people who can't eat just one bite of a lindt chocolate bunny.

Heather Sanders said...

I love these things. I completely agree, and I really liked the post!

Anonymous said...

I think saying thank you and recognizing that someone is doing a good job is so important! When we appreciate others, we want to put more effort into helping others too.