On the eve of "Super Tuesday" there are many things that cause me to stay that extra 20 minutes on the treadmill to get the latest in the polls. I was a Political Science major at the BY, I live in our nations capital... and I should add to my last post under "things I am most passionate about" voting! I am a firm believer in the aggregate making all the difference. My early college friends may remember me volunteering to take them to vote:) or my rantings when Hillary Clinton was running for govorner of my state when she had never freakin' lived in it. Still makes me mad...and now she is doing just what we thought she wanted to do way back when. But, that is all a side note.
As I was watching the results come back tonight I started to wander onto this topic: if we did not have television, internet... or Oprah etc. etc. who would win the race? I mean, if you couldn't tell if someone was young (Obama, B. Clinton) or old (Huckabee, Reagan), good looking (Kennedy, Romney) or ugly (no comment), athletic (Roosevelt) or cripple (FDR) and it was just based on newspaper publishing their stance and some fireside chats...who would win?
On that note I started thinking that, while I sometimes avoid political discussions in D.C. (nothing is so boring than to be out eating with a bunch of people-who define themselves and their self worth by where they work- who think they know what they are talking about, when they really don't), I think it is something that is and should naturally be discussed among friends. Who better to challenge you or open up a new way of thinking? So, my friends spread far and wide... I pose this question:
Who did (or would) you vote for, and why?
For my friends out of the country: as I spent the last U.S. election in Spain it absolutely fascinates me to see how others perceive our presidential elections. What is the buzz or the overall thought about the candidates where you are? Not saying you care to follow, but if you have do you favor one over the other?
*If you are embarrassed (which no matter your stance or reason for it, you should not be) then sure, post anonymous.
**please no long winded rantings, I did not entitle this entry "Soap Box" ;) but I genuinely want to know! ROCK THE VOTE!!! (I really should try to get a job with them)





4 comments:
Romney. His platforms make sense. Also, self worth based on where they work? Tee hee hee.
Maryland votes this coming Tuesday and I am not going to vote. I am a registered Republican and so I cannot vote for a Democrat (in which case I would vote for Obama) but I can't and so I am not going to vote because I really don't like Huckabee and definetly do not like McCain. I want to use my vote for someone I actually think would be a good leader and I am not going to vote for someone I don't feel that way about.
Definitely agree with you there Serena. Out of anyone still in the race right now I think I would do Obama but his Health Care makes me really nervous. However, knowing that it has to pass through Senate & House I'm hoping it will never come to fruition. eeek. I was talking to a friend yesterday who helped w/ the Romney's campaign and they think he'll pull a Reagan- come back in 2012 and win. ooh, politics!
I live in North Carolina and we do not vote until May. That STINKS! I feel like my voice will not be heard because all of the early voting states made the decision for me and took away my right to choose. Come May I will have to "vote" for the last man (or woman) still on the ballot. If the media wasn't the influence that it is today...would things be as they are?
Post a Comment