I can't remember the last time I really road a bike. I mean, really road a bike, as in over 1 mile in one go. On my mission I used a bike for a day because the Elders needed our car, that's about it. However living in D.C. there are a lot of bike trails that I wanted to take advantage of so I recently shopped around on Craig's list and found a nice one for my very own. This weekend a group of my friends were headed up to Amish Country to go biking. As is my response to most spur of the moment adventurous decisions I said SURE!
When we arrived in Lancaster, PA I thought the choices were between a 15, 40 and 60 mile route. I of course was going to choose the 15. Then I was informed that there was only a choice of a 20, 30, 40 and 60 miler. I was soon convinced that 30 miles was not far so, I said.... SURE! This is where the laughing comes in. I biked 30 miles after not being on a bike for who knows how long, with a 3/4 full bottle of water and a pack of fruit snacks to my name. THAT is planning for you. (I will now say thank you to my friends who gave me 1/2 a power bar, some tissues and cough drops. Lest you think I was completely ill prepared, I did delve out some of my clothes to keep others warm, ha!)
But guess what? I survived and I'm not even sore! It took a bit longer to bike because oh... my roommate Lisa and I got lost for 2 miles without a map. Yeah for happy endings when we ran into some of the group that started later than ours as we tried to back track. Then as luck would have it, we soon ran into 2 of our straggling friends--the ones we had originally been waiting for to bridge the gap between their straggling behinds and the rest of the group-- as they stopped to take another photo. It was a beautiful day, the leaves were changing to a brilliant red and I was in an east coast heaven.
As we peddled deeper into our route and lost civilization I enjoyed watching the Amish on their farms, seeing their simple way of life and how beautiful they make it. Someone commented on how immaculate their yards are, and I thought of course they are immaculate. They don't
I loved the covered bridges, the chance to stretch my legs for a day... and then head to Hershey Park where i wasted any amount of energy i had left on the FANTASTIC roller coasters. Now that is what I call a perfect day!
7 comments:
Oh this looks like so much fun! Glad you enjoyed it and next time be more prepared! :)
you are not even sore! I am impressed. And I wish I could have seen more of you...
One thing that makes me as happy as biking is when I get new biking friends. Yay! Welcome to the club, I'm glad you came this weekend, and sorry that with 70 other people competing for attention we didn't get to chat much.
Ali... well, i will clarify that a certain area on my lower extremities in the back region was pretty sore. I've heard i need to get some of those sexy biker pants to prevent. I'm a bit leery of that though!!! Jenny, I'm so excited and we'll catch up at FFN!
YOur life looks exciting Mel, Lucky you.
NIce biking skills Mel! 30 miles is a long bike ride! I wish I got to be there with you, not biking on the road, but at the Hershey Park. I sure do love chocolate! Oh, and sorry about your pumpkins. It was probably some punk kids who stole them and busted them open. Damn kids.
Glad to know there was more to the weekend than Hershey Park and that you had a good time!
Post a Comment