12.14.2008

D.C., HoW i LoVe ThEe

If you actually need me to fill in the rest of that phrase, please report back to your 6th grade English class, thank you.

Now on to the point of this blog entry: It is a well known fact that I take awhile to warm up to things. I know this about myself, and knowing is half the battle, right?! I try to be patient, give things the benefit of the doubt etc. etc. So, I moved to D.C. two years ago (wow, I just realized that as I'm typing) and have been slow to warm. Not that it isn't an amazing place, just that well, I wasn't settled--it's intimidating! You know, the whole making friends, figuring out how not to end up next to the Washington Memorial, and finding the ghetto fabulous places to eat. That being said, I am still teased for having "one foot out the door syndrome".

Well on multiple occasions this week I have been in a conversation with someone where they said "I can't believe I'm here!" or "Only in D.C., I love it!" and I couldn't agree more.

Exhibit #1: Unfortunately I don't have any photos of it, but I went to the Nutcracker at the Kennedy Center with a group of people on Thursday. Let me repeat, I was WATCHING the Nutcracker at THE KENNEDY CENTER, with one of the BEST dance companies in the world. If I didn't realize how lucky I was you could call me spoiled! This production was by far one of the best I've seen. There were a few storyline technicalities that no me gusta, such as the Nutcracker suddenly "disappearing" after Act I and the abrupt end as they ascend in a hot air balloon- thus cutting out the usual ending. But the costumes were beautiful and the skills were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! To read more click here.

Exhibit #2: T'was the weekend before Christmas break, and all through D.C., ..... eh, won't rhyme. Okay, we had our Christmas program at church today. I can only describe the talent that is within the D.C. singles wards as mind blowing, humbling, where-are-Mo-Tab-recruiters good. Not only does D.C. have stock on highly intelligent people but talented people as well! It is easy to assemble a choir (WITH BOYS!) that knows how to sing, complete with an orchestra when needed. Our ward scaled back a bit this year on the instruments but it was still fantastic. It will be a sad, sad day when I no longer get to appreciate a D.C. Christmas program.

Exhibit #3: The queen of Spades is bad, I learned that this week. Aren't you proud of me? My house (+ Lovely Leanna) hosted a Hearts Tournament on Saturday. Only in D.C. could you easily find 38 people the weekend before Christmas to play a card game with gusto! Well actually I stand corrected, 3 people came down from NYC. We had 38 people on the main level of my house engrossed in the game for four hours. As of Thursday I had no idea how to play (this is where I will give a shout-out to my three coworkers who took their lunch breaks to teach me.) I was proud of myself because I actually won my table. That's right, second time playing and despite the incessant intimidation (yup, you heard me Pete) I won! However, due to a short attention span soon after winning I gave my seat to someone else so I could socialize. I must say, it's a fun game. Not too hard to pick up and plenty of room to talk smack. Michael Helgesen now has bragging rights, for now... only because I dropped out :)


1) Carl and Lindsay: intensity > in round II 2) Michael Helgesen: Gun slingin', crime fightin' IRS agent by day, card shark by night.


1) A poor attempt at poker faces by some, the game goes on! 2)The winners table: 10pm and going strong

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! That photo of Helgesnuggle is classic. It was so fun, thanks for hosting!!!

Jenny said...

I still think Pete wouldn't go on because he couldn't stand not to win. Great party, thanks to you girls and Leanna.

Unknown said...

That looks like so much fun! I love hearts. What a great party. And I wish some of that talent would move a little to the north...our programs arent so great...but Merry Christmas, anyway! We are headed down to the temple this Sunday for the concert and to look at the lights...are you going to be around? Probably you are going to be home, but I thought I'd ask anyway!

RuSty and LaLa said...

Did you ever attempt to shoot the moon. I would never recommend this...very dangerous! You can practice up for next competition on the computer!

M. said...

Willy, funny you should ask. That was going to be my next strategy in an attempt to get out quickly. But I found someone to take my spot. I do want to try it sometime!! That kamikaze approach kind of calls to me :)

Heidi said...

I love DC too. Miss it all the time! Glad you are having fun and really enjoying it. MISS YOU! (Also, you had Andy and I in stitches with the Hooter Hider comment -- I hadn't even noticed it was there before! Oh, the life I lead!)

modestmuse said...

SO jealous!!!!! I've never seen the Nutcracker!

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Man, now I want to live in DC! You make it sound so enticing! Cards, nutcrackers, it's got it all!