12.18.2008

WhAt'S Yo FlAvA?

The Monday after Thanksgiving I was listening to Christmas music in my office. A coworker came in and said, "You're listening to it already?!" I quickly stated: "Of course, I only have one month!" So, for the past few weeks while intermixed with my Pandora Radiohead or Classical channels, it has been full-on Christmas music.

Well on Monday I was plugging away when I heard something familiar coming from outside my door. I perked up my ears, and what did I hear? Christmas music! It looks like Scrooge transformed after all :). I teased him a bit about listening to Christmas music before Monday (the T-3 and counting of Holidays) and we started talking about Christmas music we liked- bantering back and forth.

He couldn't understand how I couldn't get sick of the music, listening to it for 3 weeks straight. What? What? There is so much to choose from... well different versions of the same thing, but you get the idea. I admitted I was more of a nontraditional-traditionalist. I like songs when they have the same idea as the original, but can't handle the hyped up version. "What makes me what to gag? David Bowie singing Christmas songs," I explained (I will also add Mariah Carey). To which he responded "That's my favorite Christmas song! Its the new and the old together, right before Bing Crosby died, you can't hate it!" Ohhh, yes I can. I won't hold it against good man Crosby as he was so near his deathbed.

It made me start thinking though, With such a variety of Christmas music to listen to and only a limited amount of time in which to listen to it... what's your flavor? i.e. what get's you in that Christmassy mood? My top 10 below:

1. Carol of The Bells - traditional, no Trans Siberian whosy-whatsies
2. White Christmas - the Drifters (think Home Alone, aftershave scene)
3. En Stjarna Lyser Sa klar -Carola (a Swedish singer, introduced to her during my mission)
4. Sleigh Ride -Ella Fitzgerald (anyone else, puh-lease)
5. Let it Snow -Frank Sinatra
6. Nutcracker (I'll cheat and say the whole thing)
7. Oh come Emmanuel (There is this piano version I heard on my mission, AMAZING, I've been looking for the sheet music ever since)

Mo Tab: (yes, serving at Temple Square has made me bias, a bit. But they are amazing!!)
8. I Saw Three Ships
9. Joy to the World **
10. Angels from the Realms of Glory

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

While both slightly depressing, I LOVE "I'll be Home for Christmas" by Bing Crosby and "have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland. Gets me every time!

Anonymous said...

Bring a torch Jeanette, Isabella. If it is sung write, brings tears to my eyes. On a happier note (as such is Christmas) Pennies from Heaven. I LOVE that scene in Elf.

M. said...

oooh, I do love these options. I <3 the Elf soundtrack, the girl in it has SUCH a good voice!

A. Mike said...

A Scrooge, am I? Well......maybe a little. But not overwhelmingly so...I'm in the spirit now!

Some of my faves:

1. Carol of the Bells - I will admit, I like any and all variations of this one. Even the stupid Walmart commercial
2. Little Drummer Boy - Harry Simeone and, yes, Bing & Bowie!
3. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
4. White Christmas - both Bing and the Drifters
5. Candlelight Carol
6. I Saw Three Ships
7. Sleigh Ride - Ella's is good, but I actually like the Boston Pops version best
8. Christmas Waltz
9. The 12 Days of Christmas - The Muppets. Fond memories of singing along to this on family trips.
10. It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas - Ironic, considering that where I grew up, it never looked like Christmas!

Julie Bradshaw said...

Chanticleer's whole "Let It Snow" CD is great. I love O Holy Night of course, but it's gotta be sung right...Oh Come Emmanuel is one of my favorites. I also love the third verse of Silent Night. It makes me cry every time I hear it, sing it, read it, whatever. I also LOVE Andy Williams' "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". It takes me right to my childhood - happy memories. I also love the Osmonds ( I know, I'm cheesy, but their CD is fun!) I could go on and on, so I'll stop right there.

Miss Amy said...

blasphemy! how could you not love trans siberian orchestra?!

i love the teja bell CD. i have great memories of it as our christmas morning soundtrack every year.

have an amazing trip to the UK!! can't wait to hear details :)

Anonymous said...

We gots the same flava mel!

Fife Photography said...

wow, you have such a fun blog. Are you still in DC? Are you working? How's life?

The Eatons said...

mel! your blog is delightful. i think its like 6 am right now- i am up for a snack and your blog just kept me company. Love it.

Marian and Sadie said...

Thank you and I will keep posting updates....stay tuned!

Jenny said...

Melinda, I need that song O, Helga Natt. It's so incredibly beautiful and I can't find anywhere to buy it online. Where can I get it? This will be a Christmas miracle if you can tell me.

RuSty and LaLa said...

WInter wonderland
We three Kings...my dad sings the base and he is awesome!
O holy Night! Amazing!
Let it snow
Rusty likes THe beach boys...little Saint Nick

I could go on but I won't...My family goes caroling every year and it is so fun. I could sing Christmas songs all year!