As my Facebook wall can easily attest, today was my birthday. I got more than a few "how's your birthday today?" and I just kind of look confused because... what am I suppose to do when it's on a Monday? My boss (being kind) brought in bagels and had everyone sing "Happy Birthday" to me. Here's a question for you though, WHY do we sing that song?! 1) You don't want to sing to me, be honest, you don't. 2) Perplexed questioner alert: Who am I suppose to look at when you sing to me??? Seriously, so odd. If you look around the room it just confirms #1 but if you just look down... it's still awkward. So, any advice there people? I went out to eat with some friends and after a lengthy discussion we decided that it is by far the most botched song in the U.S. with the Star Spangled Banner in close second.If at this point in the reading you think my birthday was lame, oh no!! The festivities began early on Wednesday night when I went shopping with my roommate Arianne. She picked out most of my stuff (thanks friend!) The first "Happy birthday me!" happened when I found a pair of 7 jeans on sale for $20 (normally $100+). Hurrah!
The festivities continued into the weekend when... HAPPY BIRTHDAY ME!! I took the Chitown bus up to NYC to meet up with my friend. He was in the U.S. for a conference and had a lay-over for a few days. The bus ride in itself could be a blog entry but lets stick with all the "Happy Birthday Me!" moments, or perhaps better named......
Festivus, Foot Fatigue and Fabulous Food:
1) Finally getting to NYC and catching up!
2) Actually walking over (ish) the Brooklyn Bridge, even though we hate being tourists.
3) Getting soup in Chinatown, even with the grouchy waiter.
4) Walking everywhere. Fresh air, exploring the city, chatting... so worth the day off!
5) Visiting the Strand (if you haven't been to the 16 miles of used books, you are missing out.)
6) Finally seeing the Flatiron building.
7) Going to a Knicks game- front row seats....on the top level.
8) Speed walking 30+ blocks to Pinkberry to get there before it closed, then going back to the hotel and watching The Fall, well 15 min of it before we switched to Fight of the Conchords-- I love them both!
9) Do you recall, Central Park in... winter? It felt like fall though!
10) Rice to Riches take away containers.
11) Phantom of the Opera. I'm not sure what was better: The patron tune hummer, the newbie botching part of a song or the 15-yr. old in front of us staring at my friend. Creeeepy!
12) N.Y. pizza and N.Y. bagels... how i've missed thee lo these many years!
13) More PINKBERRY!!
14) Not whimping out on our "Who can stand hotter food, Part I".
15) The entertaining drunk girls on the bus ride home Sunday night.
As much as I dreaded this Birthday, I couldn't be happier than the way I spent it...HAPPY BIRTHDAY ME!









7 comments:
Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had an absolutely fabulous birthday! I love your photos...I love New York! I feel your pain with the happy bday song, I have decided to give up feeling super awkward about it and just think about how it is more for the singer than the listener. ha! I always get numerous messages with the song and somehow I have finally come to grips with the awkwardness. I used to dread it so bad! Now I just laugh at the ridiculousness. So, without further ado: Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Melinda...happy birthday to you! Ha!
Sooo jealous. It looks so fun!!! Oh, and um, deets on this friend?!
Thanks for rubbing in the pizza and bagels. You suck.
ha! Sorry Bro ;) It's better that way... you're training for a 1/2 remember?! :) Let's just forget that so am I. time for 6am gym time uggg. not sure how I'll do that.
I suggest staring at people back or finding ways to make them uncomfortable. It only seems fair, and it would be more entertaining! ;)
I usually get up with the group and start singing with them...then it looks like were all crazy or drunk because we are singing to no one....try it next time....it works
My other thing I like to do is sing alternative birthday songs. Primary has taught me a few...the simpsons got the whole. Meg it's your birthday...happy birthday Meg...good times
Mel, imagine I'm looking you square in the eye and standing right in front of your face. I open my mouth and sing, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR MELFINDAAAAA---, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU."
Just admit it, you loved it. You wish I would sing it again!
Post a Comment