A new tradition has begun. And as much as my feet hate me at the moment, I love it! After years and years (I was a participant in two of those years) of the Colonial I ward being shafted to the 1pm slot, starting Jan. 1st we moved to 9am.Yes, I will admit it is a bit hard waking up in the morning, but then we have the WHOLE day to enjoy! What better way to utilize the afternoon that to walk home with four of your friends? If you are unfamiliar with the area, our chapel is less than a mile from George Washington's old abode (Mount Vernon) and there is a trail leading through most of D.C. all the way to Mount Vernon. Since we are currently enjoying 60+ degree weather, we thought, why not make the most of it?! So, we walked 10 miles of the route from the chapel to our various homes in Alexandria/Crystal City. It gives me a new appreciation for 1) the pioneers (who walked... and walked...and walked) 2) cars 3) my New Balance shoes.
In the three hours it took us to complete the journey we caught up on each others travels (and planned more), movies we'd seen, boys we are dating...and whether we should be, we discussed (thanks MC) the top 10 attributes to being a courteous human being, laughed at various people's running styles, one man's version of a bike boom box... and the outfits we saw in hoite toite Old Town.
I am looking forward to many more discussions/memories to come--not to mention getting in hiking shape for Peru!!!
6 comments:
Wow! I'm really impressed. That actually sounds like such a great idea. If you keep up this tradition I would love to tag along sometime.
Um... who are you dating, and should you be?
ha! Jenny, yes please join us! It is so much fun and oddly a great workout :)
freezing!!! freezing and miserable!! you east coast girls are made of steel. i wish i could say the same. i am a lame, wimpy, thin blooded, non-10 mile outdoor walking girl. unless it's in arizona, come walk with me in AZ :)
Good for you. I just have to say that a 10-mile walk followed by three hours of church with my girls sounds like hell! When are you going to Peru?
Way to go! I have been inspired :)
Post a Comment