3.12.2009

Oh, ThE iRoNy

Time Wasting Internet. I don't know a person that doesn't fall into the "I waste way too much time on the Internet" category. You know what I'm talking about, it creeps up on all of us at different times but we aaaaall fall victim. It catches me late at night when I've finally bid goodnight to my roommates. I go upstairs, yet instead of hopping into bed I decide to first check the weather...then I end up reading my emails, check-up on blogs etc. etc. Before I know it my goal to be in bed before midnight has been thwarted. Yet, at a time when I HAVE to find ways to waste time (like today) I can't!!!!

My company is getting a new database (hallelujah) next week and today the communications (mine) and membership departments headed out to Tysons Corner for training on the subscriptions/sales modules. While it is wise for me to get the gist of what is going on, you know, just in case my coworker "wins the lottery," it's not very relevant to my actual job. Despite this obvious fact, there I sat from 9am-5pm growing increasingly ancy.

So what did I do to entertain myself all day?

* checked my gmail
* checked my yahoo
* looked for tickets to Peru on Expedia, Orbitz then Kayak
* looked for tickets to Turkey on Expedia, Orbitz then Kayak
* looked for tickets to Paris/Stockholm and London/Stockholm just to reassure myself I got an amazing deal (I did) on my London>Stockholm trip in May.
* Compared Verizon phones I could get now that my contract is up
* Compared new Verizon phones to getting an iPhone
* searched for a refurbished iPhone
*fake signed up for an iPhone to see how much it would cost
* checked facebook
* organized groups--due to the crappy new FB page
* Looked for a new pair of diesel shoes on Amazon
* When I couldn't find my fav. pair of diesel's on Amazon to replace the pair I regrettably threw away... I stalked the web for a place that sold them. Alas, none. I almost teared up.
* played the Map Game (a lot--see if you can get past level 8)
* when I got bored of the Map Game I played the Paper Plane game
* looked up Aladdin on the wiki--ends up he IS Chinese (discussion derived from a Trivial Pursuits card.)
* Read about Alice in Wonderland on the wiki--I was curious, always wanted to read the book, never have.
* Read the yahoo news (a few times)
* Read the yahoo-UK news
* Briefed myself on Red Nose Day
* Checked the latest scores for Manchester United (still in the lead, thank you)
* Emailed my friend Drew to gloat about the above fact (he's an Arsenal fan)
* Caught up on a few emails...and gchatted

basically you can see I was racking my brain for things to do. How sad is that? When I should be in bed... I surf the net, but when I have unlimited time...I don't know how to waste it! Go figure.

6 comments:

Scott and Laura said...

That is really funny! It is hard finding things to waste that much time on. :) Sounds like you did well in the end.

Anonymous said...

You forgot about TextTwist. You used to play that in college remember?! :)

Only got to level 5 on the map game.

Kimi said...

Exactly why I have a love/hate relationship with the internet. Can't live with it - can't live without it!

Lincoln and Alisia said...

If you want to waste more time, go to addictinggames.com
And if you find two refurbished I-phones, let me know!!!

Miss Amy said...

what was the consensus on iphone vs. blackberry? i'm addicted to my crackberry, can't imagine ever switching again. i'm so pathetic.

next time your server is down and need to kill time, you can donate food to the hungry, while at the same time enhancing your vocabulary!
http://www.freerice.com/
it's addicting!!!!

M. said...

def going with the iphone. I even watched this little demo they had and it's amazing! Now I just have to shell out the $. uggg.

ps. ali just go to the AT&T website, type in refurbished, they have TONS. I prob. will get a new one though!