5.17.2009

BeTtEr FoR mY hEaLtH

I've decided it would be better if I just moved here. London, that is. London, England. That way, instead of having to try and fit everything in at once, I can enjoy at a casual rate.

Whenever I visit England there is a list of things I want to see, do and eat. However this trip is different in all but one regard. As my departure date grew nearer and people would talk to me about my trip, they would ask "who are you going with?" I respond with a shrug, "No one." hmmm. "What are you doing when you get there?" Again, my cavalier response, "No idea." It left people perplexed and a little worried for my safety. However, even as I boarded the plane I had no idea what I was going to do. Apparently my typical anal retentive personality trait is in remission.

I decided that in London there's plenty to do, people to see... and time to wander on my own. For some reason my mind refuses to go anywhere I've already been. I'm avoiding Trafalgar Square like the plague, have developed a loathing for the National Art Gallery... and Big Ben, shmig ben. Strange again, I'm okay with that. I relish the freedom! I think as I walk around the city streets right now, I am internally beaming. The thought of doing WHATEVER I want, for as LONG as I want, WHENEVER I want... exquisite. Take a deep breath, yup, beaming right now! First, I have my own cell phone, key in travel freedom. I went to Kew Park with my aunt and uncle, met up with a mission friend for quasi site seeing--mostly we just walked through a museum and talked. What were some paintings inside you ask?... no idea. I wandered around Portabello Road, went with a friend to the ghetto version of Pinkberry (he agrees, it's gross.) Even had my second (twelve years ago doesn't count under my previous rule) experience at a British movie theater.

While this travel scenario is extremely cathartic, there is one thing that perplexes me. I have four days to enjoy things I only get once in a blue moon. I know there is only so much I can fit in my stomach and only certain foods I can smuggle back into the states, so how am I suppose to enjoy fish and chips, copious amounts of indian food (on multiple occasions), Hazelnut kit kat bars, hob nobs, etc. etc. etc. It's just not possible! I'd either be a gluttonous pig, or I miss out. sigh. see... it would be better If I just lived here. Mentally and physically. Sponsors welcome.

Authors note: I have no idea exactly what I'm doing tomorrow, but will include doing whatever I want! Any suggestions?:)

5 comments:

Charlotte Rose said...

Lucky, I had a lot of fun living in London, it sounds like you've done all the touristy things,if I was you I 'd just get on the tube and get off somewhere random. Don't forget to shop at Top shop, French connection, and H & M, that is unless all these shops are in the US.

Miss Amy said...

fantastic mel!! this is the only way to travel. avoid the old, search out the new. i wholeheartedly support you move to the UK :) As long as I have a permanent invite to crash at your pad :) have a great time!! can't wait to hear all about it!!

Abigail said...

All I ask is that you keep track of all the non-touristy things, make a list and then send it my way. I am going to spend just over a week in London in August and I want to know where all the good places are.

Have fun!

Molly said...

You're so funny...pack me in your bag the next time you go, please. Oh, and so do you speak with your "american" accent when you go or do you fancy your "english" accent? I'm dying to know!

M. said...

Rose,I made sure to do the random stop off everyday. I ended up walking a lot buuuut, Loved it Ö Everyone will have a permanent invite to my pad... I first have to find one, oh and a job. But, I'm leaning and leaning more towards the, why not. carpe diem right!