5.12.2009

PaPeR oR.... pLaSmA?

I Prefer Print. Over the past two years I have slowly accumulated a variety of newspaper/magazine subscriptions. After all, you can only become a better writer as you are exposed to a variety of styles. I currently get National Geographic Traveler, Vanity Fair, several enews letters, Conde Nast Traveler, and I pinch the Economist from a roommate. Well, as of yesterday you can add the Washington Post to that list. I signed up for a one-year daily subscription (it was $1 per day, how could I not?!) So, I emailed my roommates to give them a heads up since it will start coming while I'm in Europe. That way, it won't go in the recycle bin like all the other excess crap we get at our house.

One of my roommates emailed back saying, "way to keep the newspaper industry in business." I laughed a little because it sadly is a dying industry, well the print version anyway. But for me, there is something to be said about tangibility. I mean...sure, I'll brush up on various things online and I'm an ardent supporter of saving trees. During one summer job I used to collect all the paper and take it home with me to recycle because the company didn't have a recycle bin (we went through reams DAILY.) Now, I sift through our trash can at home if I see things that should be recycled... and when a coworker prints out massive amounts of what I deem useless emails, I jokingly yell, "Timber!" BUT... yes, but when I'm trying to learn something, I want it in front of me. Something I can tear out and pin up (or file away), underline, make notes or just relish in my hands. Even the gargantuan New York Times... I like the folding, unfolding, smashing-to-fit-within-my-own-personal-space kind of feel. The plasma pixelation of my computer screen gives me a headache if I try to read a long story online! And I always feel like I'm missing some important news bit. Maybe it's a case of digital overload... I'm not sure. But for now the print world has my hard copy vote.

Do you have a preference? Any magazine you'd recommend?

10 comments:

Helen said...

You should try the New Yorker, I love it. I don't mind web news...but for the GOOD stuff, it's worth print.

Dave said...

What about the regular National Geographic?

M. said...

oooh, I REALLY want the New Yorker. Although I've heard their editorial has changed a lot, not in a good way. Not sure if that's true... I asked for it for Christmas, no such luck :(

Anonymous said...

sad... maybe I should get you a subscription to the Ensign...:)

M. said...

PLEASE! lol. I get the Ensign. sheesh, no need to save my soul. ;)

The Chan Clan said...

Question first...I still haven't heard when you are coming to AZ this summer, so when is it? Also, I would be happy for you guys to stay with me. Especially since both of you were my companions.

Now, I used to enjoy a few magazines, but then I got tired of hidden agendas, so I unsubscribe to them and explain my disappointment in their magazine's content.

I just know I am going to be the most old fashioned person in the world EVER!

Anonymous said...

Do you get Mental Floss? I think you'd enjoy that one.

bmz said...

You should get a Kindle. My husband LOVES his. The screen is amazing--I had to a double take, and went to lift the paper off of the screen, only to find out that there was no paper, the screen just looked like paper.

Molly said...

I like Domino. But, that's b/c I like to decorate and be creative. I also like martha stewart Food Magazine. I make everything in the magazine every month :) Okay... so both of those aren't so hot on the articles... I was just sayin'. They got lots of pics! Me downt right gud.

Charlotte Rose said...

Hey Mel, I seriously love magazines, I love Australian Instyle and New Zealand Home and Garden, but I think you are onto a good selection already. What about wedding magazines - yeah yeah I know, but gosh, I love looking at the dresses and , table designs and well you know.