6.27.2009

CoMe AgAiN?

vs.

I still have no idea what he's saying...

You know those songs that you have NO idea what the singer is actually saying? I've had several humorous conversations with people about various songs that you have NO idea what they're actually saying, so you come up with the not-so-plausible substitute. Some of my favorites?

1) Layla by Eric Clapton -- friend thought it was "gay love"
2) Tu pac's How long will they mourn me-- friend thought was "How long were they Mormon"
3) Vanilla Ice's Ice, Ice Baby-- instead of too cold... I thought "deck the halls"

While I have figured out many songs that once puzzled me, there is one that's true meaning eludes me to this day. In light of the King of Pop's death, many people have been playing his songs and today I heard this elusive song on the radio, and it got me thinking.... Now, back in the day when Napster was the coolest thing since slap bracelets, my roommates and I spent a bit of time downloading music onto one poor little computer in general (sorry Heath) and it resulted in a number of mixed c.d.'s. There was one c.d. in particular I made my sophomore year, the one of which I am most proud--Michael Jackson. This mix c.d. (which included my elusive nemesis) was a gender neutral classic and soon became a road trip staple.

During my mission a few of these road trip staples would consistently get stuck in my head for days... or transfers... to (most likely) the annoyance of my companions. For those of you who haven't served a mission, imagine 18 months...with the same songs stuck in your head!! The most frequent songs were by Radiohead (Karma Police or Fake Plastic Trees). The other was, of course, my aforementioned mysterious friend wanna be starting something by MJ. If you look to the left of your computer screen you will notice my music player, full of MJ songs in tribute to the late King of Pop. I urge you to click on wanna be starting something (#9), fast forward to minute 2:07 and tell me... PLEASE... what is he saying??? My whole mission I had "I'm a vegetable... and I ate you" in my head!! And now that everything is MJ 24/7 I have it in my head again... HEEEELP!

5 comments:

Charlotte Rose said...

mmmm - I only get the same as you : )poor MJ.

Kim said...

lol...this made me laugh...and you are good!!!

You're A Vegetable, You're A Vegetable
Still They Hate You, You're A Vegetable
You're Just A Buffet, You're A Vegetable
They Eat Off Of You, You're A Vegetable

Molly said...

Wow.... it really does say, "you're a vegetable!" Of course, the "And I ate you" part is only slightly off.. VERY funny! ;) I like "and I ate you..." much better!

M. said...

*Note I probably could have looked up the Lyrics online...but I handn't yet. Not that I have...HOLY CRAP! who sings about a vegetable?! Apparently MJ. lol!!!

RuSty and LaLa said...

He can do anything..he's the King! PS I love slap bracelets. I want those to come back like now!