A coin toss is sooo one sided. Rock, Paper, Scissors (RPS) however, can be used for anything. Think about it, you are in charge of your own destiny. No arguing that "he chose heads, but that's what I wanted" or "she took the straw I was going to choose!" None of that. Just you, your gut instinct and the best two out of three.I think the world is in need of a bit more Rock, Paper, Scissors. For example: How will MJ be buried?--RPS. Should the ousted leader be allowed back in the country?--RPS. Who won the Iranian elections?--RPS.
Okay, so maybe that's a bit extreme, but RPS is extremely useful. The passive people have equal say as the overbearing, young to old, and weak to strong. Plus, the decision is done quickly (I go slightly nuts when people are indecisive about small things.) Lest you mock, in 2006 it was used to resolve a dispute during a court case. It was also used by famous art galleries Christie's v. Sotheby's to acquire paintings. See, it's legit!
Here's an example of how I've used it recently:
1) Should we turn on the air conditioning yet?
2) What movie should we watch?
3) Who gets shot gun?
4) Where should we go for lunch?
5) Who's going to go get the gift?
6) Who's going to tell the choir director they have to be out by 5:30?
7) *** time it should have been used and wasn't*** dividing assignment of my boss's beats. I was actually WORKING when they got "divided" up. I call a recount, or how about RPS?
... it might get rid of some of the ill will I harbor at the moment ;)
5 comments:
The problem is that some people have actually done the math and found out that if your last play was "rock" the odds are that your next play will be "scissors" or "paper..." obviously I am not one of those people, but my husband is and he ALWAYS wins. I guess that is only if you do best 2 out of 3. I used to enjoy that solution. I guess it would pay off if Chris had to use it in some fancy dispute! Ha!
You could simplify it even more and throw out the best of 3. Winner takes all in one shot. I am with you.
Personally, I like to play the Japanese version where you really get to enjoy your victory as you sing a little verse and tug on the loser's cheeks. Just a little icing on the cake!
Oh I so agree with you on this one! Rich and I use it almost every day to decide who will change the really stinky diapers. The great thing about it is that even when he thinks he has me figured out I can think outside the box and do rock where I would normally do paper. This technique has saved me from many diaper changes.
Amen!! You just gave me a great idea...I think I will try it on my three year old but I'd better win :)
Post a Comment