8.14.2009

I'LL 5 BuCkS yOu

Dares are wonderful things. I mentioned previously that I had gone to discussion night in the district (I'll keep plugging it because it really is fun.) It was the "kick off" event for the weekly affair. To get the show started everyone had to go around and and say their favorite book and the book they are currently reading. No big deal, right?

Well, while I love a good discussion, I get a bit squeamish when it's an orchestrated event. I always have to remind myself that these are all good people that I would love talking to one-on-one. It helps me get passed the often high brow, masked intellectual, pretentious feeling that makes me cringe. Sure enough, as we started going around the room it was full of the most random books I'd ever heard of--it was like a battle between two indie rockers naming their favorite (i.e. who can come up with the most obscure) bands. I watched as we made our way around the Victorian decorated room, ticking slowly, slowly to me.

I'll admit i just wanted to shake things up a bit and kind of get a laugh at seeing some peoples reactions. Maybe poke some "let's not take this too seriously" into the ceremony. So, when it finally got around to me, I introduced myself...where I was from...and said "My favorite book EVER... is Twilight. She was the most amazing writer (EVER). I find her so inspirational, she makes me want to write my own book." The looks were, fantastic. So worth it.

Okay, so maybe i didn't. But in my head that's what I wanted to do, I chickened out at the last minute. [sigh] i know. bock, bock. I didn't want to commit social suicide on night #1. I even 5 bucksed the girl next to me to do it, but she chickened out too. I should have done it, I've been kicking myself all week. I promised my friends (after I told them, they were mad I didn't) next time...yes NEXT time I'd do it.

11 comments:

annie said...

ooooooh i'm coming to discussion night next week. maybe i can twilight it! ha ha haaa! that would be awesome.

annie said...

ps i'll even throw in an "omg, you guys!"

Julie Bradshaw said...

I just watched the first half of the movie again the other night (I couldn't make it all the way through) and thought "the only way I made it all the way through the first time is because I couldn't hear the dialogue over all the screaming teens." Sad. Good times. "Lion: It's what's for dinner."

Kim said...

I'll say BoM for 5 bucks :)

M. said...

Annie--good! I'll sit next to you so I have someone to say sarcastic things to when needed.
Julie--You know you're coming to the next one w/ us. I'll design another t for you ;O)
Kim- I literally just went ugggg. lol!

Miss Amy said...

YOU didn't want to ruffle up some feathers?! what is this world coming to? i need to move to DC stat. so we can support each other in saying sarcastic, inappropriate, albeit hilarious comments!!

Unknown said...

That is such a funny image because you are so right! I hate when people try and seem so smart and complicated...the twilight thing would have been so funny! You have to do it next time! Not that I don't love a good book discussion, but it is hard to handle the awkward pressure! This is why I am always open about taking my children to McDonald's occasionally and that I watch The Bachelorette and the pretension just kind of melts away at this point...
Good luck!

Heidi said...

So what did you end up saying is your fav?

Kim said...

"ugggg" thats what I was going for :)

M. said...

Favorite book: Tale of Two Cities

current book: since I have reading ADD at the moment I just said the last book I purchased: Alice in Wonderland.

Erin said...

You crack me up! I can always count on a laugh when I go to your blog! And I love the post on the "deal breakers." I so agree with the video game thing. Luckily, I never dated a guy with that issue.