8.23.2009

TiMe To ReEvAlUaTe

(L-R highlights: China, India, Thailand, Sweden, Singapore, Cambodia, Barcelona (Spain), France,
Thailand, Madrid (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), London, China)

My mom went to ______, and all I got was this lousy tshirt. I've seen those tshirts a lot, and I always wonder who buys them. If someone brought one back for me from their holiday, I'm not sure whether I'd wear it to bed, regift it, or cut it up for cleaning towels! That being said, I think souvenirs are one of the best ways to find out about a person. It's a time where they only have a limited space and money to bring back what they deem as a good reminder of their trip, or what they think is amazing enough to share with others. Do they clothes shop? Bring back food? Collect tea sets? I have one friend who collects nativity sets, a few who bring home china plates and one, who shall remain nameless (Laura), who collects napkins. I mean, the options are limitless!

When I was little my parents would bring me home a spoon from wherever they went and when I was old enough I kept up the trend. As of now I have 60 or so safely tucked away in a drawer until I have a nice place (i.e. home of my own) to display them. I still occasionally buy one, but in the past five years I have developed a new collection--scarves. Now, I'm not really sure what that says about me, but in my mind they are a nice small reminder of a place I've been. Whenever I wear it I'll think of the circumstances of when and where I purchased it, and smile. It's unique, it's practical and it's cheap! I'm not saying I buy one EVERYWHERE I go, but 99.9 percent of the time I buy at least one. I have them hung on this little rack (that is becoming very over crowded I might add) for me to choose from during winter months or for airplane travel.

A friend was over the other day and as she admired my random collection she quipped, "I'm guessing your favorite color is red or purple?" To which a suddenly perplexed me responded..."maybe?!" The majority of my scarves had an undertone of red or purple in them, so it would be a natural deduction. The problem is, my favorite colors are teal and sea green. Hmmm.... I think it's time to either reevaluate my favorite colors or start diversifying my scarf purchases!
...What do you collect?

5 comments:

Helen said...

I collect money. It was more fun before the Euro...but I do it all the same!

M. said...

me too! My dad would bring them home for us on all his business trips. While I may not always bring home scarves, I ALWAYS bring home a coin or two. I've started making them into push pins and magnets, Love them! :)

meddy said...

cute idea with the push pins and magnets. much better than storing them in a box under my bed. =)

i've started collecting jewelry. it can be a fun conversation starter.

The Eatons said...

Long Live the color red. teal is pretty rad too though. just marry my brother already.

Molly said...

I want a scarf... I don't have any. Do you think one of them would go with my mullet?