9.29.2009

CoNfoUnDeD cOnTrApTiOnS!



My mom is the queen of finding the most random (yet useful) gadgets for our Christmas stockings each year. My brothers and I could always count on a few Tunnocks Tea Cakes, other various British treats and a smattering of random gadgets in our homemade stockings. My gadgets usually have something to do with traveling (she knows me well) or some other space saving device. Over the years I've received paper slip shampoo, laundry detergent and soap; some rubber bands shaped like animals; a travel jewelry case etc. It's always exciting to see what the next year will bring. But sufficeth to say, I've become desensitized to their apparent oddness.

However, in February when I met my friend in NYC for a few days to soak in a Knicks game, cross the Brooklyn Bridge, eat exorbitant amounts of Pinkberry and further educate him on Americanisms, I packed everything in a small backpack for the bus, which of course necessitated several of my space saving contraptions. The first night when my friend went into the restroom to get ready for bed he came out laughing. I looked at him a bit quizzically as he said, "I can't believe you have a contraption for your toothpaste, that's so American!" I of course knew that he was just secretly jealous. But still, it made me think... Yes, America is king for making the most RANDOM products possible. I mean, just watch the Home Shopping Network for an hour! We've got the magic bullet, the sham-wow... and apparently my toothpaste-shover upper thing! I know they come in handy. I lost my toothpaste gadget for a bit and was sadly rather excited yesterday when I found it. So I pose a question: What's your secret not-so-useless-contraption guilty pleasure?

5 comments:

Helen said...

um, the Magic Bullet

Anonymous said...

the snuggie

M. said...

LOL. i will admit, as it gets colder in my office, I kind of want a snuggie.

bmz said...

definitely the bump-it. but my husband won't let me have one. also, the snuggie was an all time favorite gift to give to my mothers! and we love our magic bullet!

Molly said...

MAGIC BULLET... best invention ever ;)