I've been silent long enough! this is definitely classified as my new pet peeve. Does it bother anyone else when they hear the opposite sex described using an adjective normally reserved for dining at a five-star French restaurant... or sampling a piece of chocolate cake? I'm not sure if it's just a D.C. thing, but the longer I live here, the more I hear it and the more it annoys me.Since when is a boy (or girl) yummy? What exactly is that suppose to mean anyway? Is it some naive comment that some (especially Mormons) just don't understand? I mean, break it down... The image you just conjured in every listener is that the object of your supposed affection is drizzled with some caramel and whip cream topping or marinated in some Argentine asado. And I don't think one, you should be thinking about it unless they are your significant other (and let's hope it's not BBQ sauce?!), or two, realize exactly what you're inferring--um, traaaashy. What exactly am I suppose to say to that?!? (yes double question mark and exclamation mark, that's how perplexed I am!)
As far as I know, the words "good looking", "handsome", "beautiful", "attractive," "gorgeous", we'll even go with "hot" work just fine. But "delicious", "delectable", "lip-smacking", "tasty", "scrumptious" and the ever pervasive "yummy" should be saved for that apple pie you just ate at grandma's house.
That's it. Tirade over.
5 comments:
Disagree.
okay, Lawyer, you should know if you disagree you state your argument. And so you, as a boy like being described as yummy?!!
Resorting to adjectives like "yummy" (or my LEAST favorite, "delish") is the last refuge of the uncreative mind. Do you really like something (or someone) sincerely if you can't take the time to get your description right? I agree heartily.
(The converse argument, of course, that someone is quite LITERALLY yummy, but who wants to publicly hear about that?)
I agree, I feel dirty using those words. DIRTY!
I totally agree. I think it is so gross when people use that word to describe someone.
Post a Comment