There are those that argue the internet is the most marvelous invention. It allows you to find people who you thought you'd never talk to/see again in your life. You can follow their comings and goings and even interject a pithy comment when the fancy strikes you. However, on the other hand, there are those that argue that the internet desensitizes you to actually building relationships. Instead of calling a friend to see how they are, to speak with them and strengthen the relationship, you read their blog... and get your fill of their life without ever interacting. The problem is, I see the validity (and agree) with both sides, and for some time have struggled between the two.Well, I'm attempting to strike a balance. I'm setting certain rules for myself in hopes that I can still keep up communication with those who are far away (and of course get the 411 on the D.C. social scene) but counter the often fast pace communication with a life enriched by deep, meaningful conversation and free time to ponder, to learn and to serve. As part of that decision I've realized I also need to change my blogging habits. On average, once a week I blog a random thought, event or feeling that I've had. I toss this selected part of my life into a virtual web abyss. Who is my audience? When I started my blog it was a forum to tell those I considered my friends things I would chatter about if we were face to face. But slowly, I've gained a following--not that I mind, I'm always up for making new friends or entertaining someone who needs a quick read! Yet, I find that in some sense this virtual casting of thoughts is affecting me. So, I'm doing what I can to rectify the situation: I'm making my blog private. Yes, I repeat, I'm making my blog private.
While I know some of you will grumble and say "well, done reading her blog!" I hope I can entice you to take the extra effort to follow (sorry google reader!) with the tid bit of knowledge that this private blog will allow me to open up as I haven't felt I can in public domain. I also hope it will spark some dialogue knowing that only a select few will ever see it's content! :0) It's time I get back to my original purpose: To share what's REALLY going on in my life (not just the randoms), like I would if I was sitting on your couch, driving in a crap van in a foreign country, sitting across from you at a great cafe...etc. etc.
I really do apologize for those that hate private blogs--I was once a hater. I will say, in many ways I still am--I LOVE google reader. But for now, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! So, if you want to follow my blog, just leave a comment. If we aren't bffs, it's okay. And hey, if we don't even know each other but for some reason you feel the urge to follow, that's okay too. You don't need to have a gmail account, I just need to invite you to read my blog. Got it? Any questions? comments? concerns?... jokes?
Blog set to go private in one month--post china trip. I hope to see you on my private side! (that sounds really dirty, doesn't it?! but "other" side sounded morbid. What can you do?)
25 comments:
Hey,
I LOVE the blond hair.
And yes, people tell me all the time how much Sadie looks like me. I think it's kinda funny and sweet at the same time. A lot of my friends think we look alike also. But we are so happy that the adoption is final. We go to the temple Nov 7th.
Of course I want to follow the blog!!
LET ME IN! Please?
Sent me an invite, Maybe I should go private too....although i really cant imagine strange people wanting to know about my life, they must be really bored!
me too, me too!
I want to keep following your blog too. Also, I would love to follow your "blonde" blog. Thanks:)
word up, thug #1.
me please! =)
I commend your efforts and completely understand going private. I'd love to keep following.
me too, please!
me also!
i am hoping i wouldn't even need to ask for this invite!
sign me up eski
Add me, add me!
sup hommie...you'd better let is in :)
of course I must receive an invite or I will cry
I better be on that list missy!
Don't forget me either!
ah hem!
Woah, I love the blonde hair! You look GREAT!! You are brave, I love it!!
I'm glad I checked your blog before you went private! Have a wonderful trip!!
keep it up. I most def. want to keep reading your blog, don't leave me behind :)
I'd like to get in on this private blog, Melinda! Thanks and great posting!
You better freakin invite me to your new blog or else I'll have to hunt you down and well.....let's face it...we would end up having the TIME OF OUR LIVES! That's right. I can come in like two weeks what are you doing?
yes, please
Count me in! :)
Post a Comment