10.02.2009

ThE oNiOn HaS sPoKeN!

And I am officially a loser. I'm sure this just proves what a nerd I am, but in college I loved reading the Police Beat of BYU's Daily Universe. It reminded me of exactly how thorough a bubble I lived in during my sojourn in Provo, Utah. It was a mix between sheer idiocy and  Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy, with people calling in a "mysterious lurker near parked car" who just happened to be scraping snow off his own car, or rowdy noises reported at 9pm but when police arrived "perpetrators" had left. Sheer lunacy! I thought they were so hilarious, I even saved some for my posterity... or to laugh at in future years when I felt like reminiscing.

However, when I moved to D.C. I found something else to take it's place. Not in the idiotic way, but just something completely ridiculous and freely available to read once a week--The Onion. Every Thursday you can get The Onion from any of the newspaper machines on the street, no charge. The stories are funny, albeit sometimes crass. But my favorite part is the horoscope section. I'm not sure who makes them up, but they always provide a good laugh... although, If I'm not really a Capricorn, does that mean i can be a cool editor?


2 comments:

Jess said...

haha! Well just so you know, I never lost Jesus behind the bleachers.

M. said...

huh, it was at the rodeo then Jess? Aquarius is my fav this week. :)